Portable gear - alternative to stacking
Nov 13, 2020 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Barndoor

1000+ Head-Fier
Anybody using any genius stand solutions for portable gear when at home/work?

My dap, dac and amp are not really designed to be stacked.

Having them on a desk seems to result in a tangle of wires or everything falling on the floor when you reach for the dap to change the track.

I'm using a tablet stand from Ikea. Not great but better than nothing.

I know you are an imaginative bunch so someone must have come up with a genius idea.
IMG20201113141856.jpg

IMG20201113141924.jpg

Nov 14, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 9
I came up with a 3D printed case for my Mojo - HiBy R3 stack. Works brilliantly but admittedly was quite some work to get right. If you have a friend who's familiar with this kind of
design work this might be a path.
Now using the Chord Hugo 2 for desktop use with headphones and it is not just a quite significant upgrade in SQ but also easier to handle due to it's larger size and weight, making it much more secure on the desktop. And no need for an external amp :)
Using Focal Clear, they sound more precise and defined and the soundstage gains width, depth and focus.
11212138_thumb.jpgIMG_3500_thumb.PNG

Nov 14, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 9
3D printing a custom solution is something I've considered. I don't have a printer myself, but my local library does.

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 9
IMG20210119155608.jpg
IMG20210119155824.jpg

Following up on this thread.
I built myself a desk stand.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks, no didn't 3D print anything in the end.
I made the base from a piece of wood and glued on trim along the front and back.
I spray painted it in black gloss and then a glitter spray.
I added a couple of cupboard handles screwed in from underneath (screws hidden with felt pads).
Bought a couple of cheap phone holders from Ali, cut the bases of them to a small size, drilled holes in them and screwed them to the back.

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #8 of 9
Also built myself a little table for sitting next to my comfy chair
IMG20210129185901.jpg

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 9
Anybody using any genius stand solutions for portable gear when at home/work?

My dap, dac and amp are not really designed to be stacked.

Having them on a desk seems to result in a tangle of wires or everything falling on the floor when you reach for the dap to change the track.

I'm using a tablet stand from Ikea. Not great but better than nothing.

I know you are an imaginative bunch so someone must have come up with a genius idea.

If you haven't done this already, I have a good solution for you. Currently, I have my WM1A and Monoprice THX amp stacked (both of them have screens). What you do, is get those little sticky pips you can get online or the hardware store to raise objects from laying flat on surfaces. Do that on the YuLvMei amp side, stack it to your 100R and just keep your Mojo not stacked to the other two, and it will make it easier for you. I think its the most convenient option so you can keep your system transportable with a smaller footprint and less unwieldy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back