Portable Full size Under $300
Apr 7, 2020 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

russmarch

Head-Fier
Hi,
I am looking at getting new headphones. Right now I have the B&O H9's but I find them lacking in several areas. This could just be my ears. I am curious about anything Fostex, the meze 99's, and gulp...Aeon Flow's. I know, the flows are way out there but those are the ones that have grabbed my attention. Anyway, if anyone wants to help out and give me some ideas on portable headphones sans amp for now, I would appreciate it.

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 9
What about the B&Os aren't you enjoying? I'd recommend auditioning (perhaps tricky right now) if you have a particular sound that you're looking for.

The Sennheiser HD25 are a great, nearly indestructible portable option if you're ok with an on-ear form-factor. While they're on the larger side, the Beyerdynamic DT770 32-ohm variant make for a great-sounding, high-isolating can for use on transport etc.

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 9
So the name I keep coming back to is Beyerdynamic, but I do not know much about them overall. My confusion comes from the many models I see out there 770. 1770. 880. 990, etc. Of all of the BD's, is there a particular one that has, let's say, warm features to it? I do not consider myself a basshead, but I do like to feel the bass, but I also need the highs to be good, maybe too good as that portion of my hearing is rapidly declining.

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 9
So the name I keep coming back to is Beyerdynamic, but I do not know much about them overall. My confusion comes from the many models I see out there 770. 1770. 880. 990, etc. Of all of the BD's, is there a particular one that has, let's say, warm features to it? I do not consider myself a basshead, but I do like to feel the bass, but I also need the highs to be good, maybe too good as that portion of my hearing is rapidly declining.
Let's start with the closed Beyers, as you did mention you were looking for 'portable'. The 990 is open, and the 880 is semi-open (more open than closed). So that leaves:

- The 770: classic studio cans, fixed cable, 32; 80, or 250 ohm variants, sub-bass and treble focused, recessed mid-range and great isolation/soundstage (for a close-back).
- The 1770: successor to the 770, detachable cable, 250 ohm only, more expensive than the 770, warmish, strong bass and treble, less recessed mid-range than the 770.
- The DT1350: on-ear, great isolation, terrific sub-bass and treble.
- Aventho wired/wireless: successor tot he DT1350 - similar form factor, with either detachable cables...or no cable. I haven't head the wired one, so can't comment.

The Beyer house-sound is generally very strong in the treble. Have a read of some reviews/comparisons of the above and this ought to be a good starting point.

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #5 of 9
Thank you.I will try to do some research, but as you state, auditioning right now is a no go. My local musician's store does have headphones on sample, but not sure when they will open again. Presently, I never feel like I am getting enough bass, but I also have to consider where my hearing is at on the high end. My first eye opening experience was a pair of klipsch wired like the S3 I think and it was the detail that caught me. I am thinking that a strong treble would not bother my ears due to age. I probably should hold off on purchase. While there is nothing wrong with the beyer look, I really like how the 99's look, but I do not know if I would appreciate the sound.

Apr 8, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Thank you.I will try to do some research, but as you state, auditioning right now is a no go. My local musician's store does have headphones on sample, but not sure when they will open again. Presently, I never feel like I am getting enough bass, but I also have to consider where my hearing is at on the high end. My first eye opening experience was a pair of klipsch wired like the S3 I think and it was the detail that caught me. I am thinking that a strong treble would not bother my ears due to age. I probably should hold off on purchase. While there is nothing wrong with the beyer look, I really like how the 99's look, but I do not know if I would appreciate the sound.
The 99's have a warm, soft and intimate sound with a heavy mid-bass emphasis. Highs are acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back