Portable FM Radio that actually works?
Sep 13, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #31 of 41
I got my Sony SRF-33W yesterday and I love it. The amp is very powerful. It drives a pair of full size cans (Nakamichi SP-7s) to loud levels with no problem, but still does not hiss into my super efficient UM-2s. It has two headphone outs and it has an exceptionally good AM section. The FM section absolutely blows away the SRF-M37W. Stations that are hissy and barely listenable on the 37 come in rock solid and dead quiet on the 33. It's kind of big, about the size of a pack of cigarettes, but the tuning dial feels great and I like the "tuned" red led. I just wish it had a mono/stereo switch. I think it's a great alternative to the SRF-A1. It doesn't have AM stereo like the A1, but the cost is much lower - an A1 just sold for $105 on eBay - and it just looks really cool.

Sep 13, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #32 of 41
This little gadget is supposed to be out anytime:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...S2_walkman_2GB

If you want a workout player with FM, there is none better. I am using the Sony NW507. I have great FM reception in my Bally's club.

The new SonicStage-CP is supposedly much better than all previous versions. It actually works without crashing PC. I never had a problem with any version.
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #33 of 41
I got a Sony Sport armband radio today, SRF-M78, and it's my new favorite. I think it's just what the OP asked for, digital, good reception, good sound and perfect for working out. It's my new favorite portable FM. I've got a Sangean DT-180V on the way, but for now this is it. Very little noise while out and about, and they're cheap on Ebay.

Sep 27, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #34 of 41
I've found that analog tuning portable FM radios seem to have better reception than digital tuning ones. Anyone have any idea if their is any merit to this? My grandma bought a little portable FM radio at RatShack and it get's excellent reception here in Phoenix. I can even dial-in stations from other cities here in AZ.

Sep 27, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
I've found that analog tuning portable FM radios seem to have better reception than digital tuning ones. Anyone have any idea if their is any merit to this? My grandma bought a little portable FM radio at RatShack and it get's excellent reception here in Phoenix. I can even dial-in stations from other cities here in AZ.

I've got an SRF-34W analog. I love the sound, but the 78 crushes it if you actually want to move around.

Sep 27, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo

There are better analog radios and worse analog radios. There are better digital radios and worse digital radios.

Sep 27, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #37 of 41
Creative Zen Micro is not an FM listening option. In downtown Columbia, I can pick up four stations, none clearly. In the suburbs, nothing but static.

However, it thinks it is pulling in stations, every 0.5MHz when using the SCAN function. It locks onto static very well.

A useless feature, in my opinion.

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #38 of 41
In another thread I discussed my new Sangean DT-180V, which is very small (on the lines of the Sony M97) and compared favorably with the M37 - now I'm awaiting audiomagnate's review of the 180V vs. his new favorite Sony M78.

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #39 of 41
Autoscan?

Dec 22, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #41 of 41
Cowon iAudio 7, FM radio works flawlessly and autoscan works fine too. But nothing beats FLAC..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back