Portable FLAC and gapless devices?
Nov 29, 2010 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

silkthinker

New Head-Fier
Hello.

The one reason I'm still clinging to my hiMD player is because it can playback gapless. There's nothing I hate more that listen to a concert and suffer the 2-3 second silence gaps between songs.

I installed Rockbox, an opensource player, in my cellphone that is quite capable and also plays back gapless, but since I've seen FLAC slowly making its way into audiophile scenarios (electronic downloads, some hard drives, etc) I wonder if anyone has known about a portable device with the FLAC decoder?

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 12
the sansa clip and/or fuze are decent starting points and can be rockboxed or left alone and will play FLAC . I dont remember if sansa firmware will do gapless though

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 12
Cowon players, S9, I9, J3, all play FLAC and do gapless.
Sansa Clip+ and Fuze both play FLAC and will do gapless with Rockbox installed.

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 12
I got a Sanza Fuze and i was utterly disappointed with the flac playback quality.  Ended up later getting the HM-801, absolutely amazing.  May be the best audio purchase I have ever made, and my equipment list isn't short.

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
I got a Sanza Fuze and i was utterly disappointed with the flac playback quality.  Ended up later getting the HM-801, absolutely amazing.  May be the best audio purchase I have ever made, and my equipment list isn't short.

Wow that is one extremely large price range you have there.

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 12
Frustration will stretch that old pricerange quite a bit.
redface.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 12
S9 gapless is sweet
dt880smile.png
and because of the new J3 the prices dropped recently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back