Portable external hard drive recommendations?
Nov 17, 2008 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm shopping for a USB 2.0 portable external hard drive (i.e., does not require power adapter), and I'm not sure:
(a) What the brand/model options are.
(b) What capacity offers best bang for the buck (in terms of space/price)

More specifically, I'll be using this on my MacBook (running 10.5.5) and I'd like it to be pretty.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any ideas? The first that comes to mind is the WD Passport. Anything else?

Edit: Anyone know anything about Lenovo Dataslims?

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 16
Hooray! I can help here!

Western Digital. I have a 100 GB portable hard drive. It's never given me any problems - just plug and play. Nothing to install. Computer recognizes it right away. Fast transfer rate. Never freezes up. I got a great deal on ebay.
I'd rather get two smaller hard drives than one big one so you can back up your back up! Unless you really do have 320 gb of...material..... : )

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 16
I make my own. You can get an external enclosure for under $20. You can put whatever size drive you want in it. I just upgraded my new PS3 and I put it's drive into a Rosewill enclosure. It's USB powered and works with both my PC and my Mac. You can get 2.5" laptop drives pretty cheap. The 500GB drive I bought to put in the PS3 was under $140.

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 16
The SimpleTech portables are fairly durable little drives. I have a 40 GB one that has been beaten and bruised and still work. Most of the people I work with as well as my sister have higher capacity ones ranging up to 500 GB and no one I can think of has complained yet.

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 16
We use WD passports at the shop so far so good and they are on sale
right now I believe the ones we choose were the firewire/usb if we had
to boot then thats a plus at least on older Mac's.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 16
Last time I had a look at external hard drives, it came down to a contest between western digital and seagate. Those are the only two companies which offer 5-year warranties, and their prices are competetive (whereas lenovo is a bit inflated in terms of $/GB) I don't think you can go wrong with either company.

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 16
Just thought I'd add I'm also looking for another external drive (likely 1TB) and am looking for a Western Digital one. I've had an older drive from them and have never had any issues with it so I don't think I'll risk losing my data with other brands which seem to have so-so reliability records.

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back