Portable equivalent of Aeons
Mar 12, 2018 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ChristopherW

New Head-Fier
I'm quite satisfied with my current setup - Mr Speakers Aeons closed with Chord Mojo, but sometimes I want to have something more compact while i'm out of town and I don't want to carry big headphones with a case, so I'm looking to buy something more portable

I would like to know if there are any possibilities to find universal IEMS or on-ear headphones that are comparable to Aeons? I would like to have similar tonal balance and level of details (I like to hear everything in the recording)

Help please :D

Budget: about 1000$

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 4
Have you considered the Oppo PM-3? Compact over-ear closed portable planar magnetic headphones. They sound neutral with maybe a slight bump to the bass. $400.

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 4
idk about sounding similar to aeons, ive never heard them before, but for $1000, you can get some pretty good universal iems. from what ive read, the aeons are quite neutral in tuning. i doubt they have the same level of resolution but the $300-400 etymotic iems could probably serve you well. another option is to buy a universal version of a custom iem. such iems include the noble audio savanna (i think these are overpriced) and the empire ears spartan (which I believe will soon be replaced, so you should wait. empire ears is revamping their entire lineup and replacing it with 2 new lineups).

i think a lot of the universal only iems at this price range aren't tuned to be neutral. for example the campfire audio andromeda, one of the most popular iems on the headphone subreddit, is not tuned to be neutral. The shure se846 is not neutral either, so aren't the sennheiser ie800.

one thing of note, some iems are really sensitive, the andromeda, and a lot of iems from fitear pick up hiss from almost anything. the mojo should be fine, i've heard they're pretty much free of hiss but i still haven't got one myself (thinking about it).

i'm sorry if i was rude to say things you already knew, but i thought i had to mention this stuff because i really dont want to make any bad recommendations.

i'm not too sure about the following companies, i have no experience with them but their names are thrown around often in the iem community:
rhapsodio
dita audio

edit: oh, one more thing of note, a lot of iems have pretty large carrying cases, i suggest you look for a smaller case if you'd like (just whatever looks good to you). they won't be as protective though

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back