Portable entertainment device under $400
Jan 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AzureBeat

New Head-Fier
So, I'm starting to plan the sort of stuff I'd like to have for audio. Music has always been a big deal for me, but I only recently started to care about SQ. But, I could use a portable device for music and other stuff, but since the first purpose would be music, I decided to ask here. I'm not sure what kind of headphones I'll have yet, but I don't think they will require amping.

So, here's the limits, in order of importance.

1) No Apple. Just no.
2) $400 is the top limit. Maybe a little over, but I'm not spending $800 on this thing.
3) Good SQ.
4) Full touchscreen type device, but I don't think I want something massive.
5) 32Gb+ or expandable.
6) I would prefer to not mess around with external amps. Yet.

A phone isn't disqualified, but I don't want a contract. Devices that are only music players, or not full-device screen will be considered, but are at a small disadvantage, I am looking for a music player first.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 5
when i was you i really find the Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones 

and

The Sony Walkman Z (16GB) (32GB) (64GB) you cant expand the memory. heres the review http://www.head-fi.org/t/584479/new-sony-walkman-z-series-mini-review

im using both now for a month and its worth the every penny . 

some said i need AMP or DAC anymore. i totally agree because its very Premium combo

i got mine about 24,000 Philippine Peso

3rd. do i have to buy dac or amp and which kind?
Not really necessary for your current headphones
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633511/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xvi/1470

you cant go wrong with this portable rig .. but please search more review on youtube for those .  in the end its all up to you

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 5
Well, I don't have any nice headphones yet. Those will come. I'm mostly looking at the AKG K267, Sennheiser Momentum, MDR-R1, UE6000, and V-Moda M-100. Going for something portable and supra-aural.

There's the Galaxy Note 2, and the Walkman Z. Yes, how do there compare to each other and say. . .the Zune. Or even other Sony Walkman. Note that a full size screen isn't an absolute requirement, but there's better be a lot of storage and battery life to make up for it. But the reason I picked the lower storage option is because I just don't have GBs and GBs of music. Just around 25 total. So far. And I regularly listen to maybe 3-4.

For another option, what about just getting a pure music player, and save everything else for a smartphone later? Since I'm not looking right now, the FiiO X3 would fill this possibility, although the concept looks like one brick of a device.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureBeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For another option, what about just getting a pure music player, and save everything else for a smartphone later? Since I'm not looking right now, the FiiO X3 would fill this possibility, although the concept looks like one brick of a device.

CLIP +

Users who are viewing this thread

Back