Portable, Efficient and not too pricey
Mar 2, 2004 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

DeadTrying

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Please to meet you all. You guys certainly know your crap! I'll keep it quick.

I'm getting a portable mp3 player soon and found out its only got a puny 5mW per channel output. I've thought about amplifying but this looks expensive and I would never be bothered to carry the amplifier around with me. Can someone suggest a pair of headphones that will get the best sound out of such a little power? Am I right to think this is a little power?..I'm comparing it to the 10mW per channel I that my MD has, which I already find a little low for some songs with my sony in-ear headphones.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 21
If you want something super portable, I like the Sennheiser MX500 earbuds. Nice sound quality for their size. www.bhphotovideo.com for the lowest price.

If you want something with the best sound quality for your needs, the Koss KSC35's. Available only at www.koss.com . They have awesome thump.

If you need isolation to keep others from hearing your music or to keep you from hearing them, the Sennheiser PX200. Kinda dull and flat sound quality IMO, but they do have great isolation for the size of the earcups. Best price at www.ecost.com .

Mar 2, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 21
I don't think the senn eabuds are too efficient. My old mx300s required some power out of my old iriver (10mW). Even my grados were more efficient, if I remember correctly. At least they were louder and clearer at the same volume than the buds.

Mar 2, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 21
I find this a very difficult question to answer.
Seems like one of your main goals is efficiency. I found that sony earbuds are the most efficient phones I've ever heard. So as for efficiency, don't expect anything better that what you got.

The above mentioned headphones are all good portables (although I personally disagree with the PX200, don't sound to good to me.)

You live in the UK so if you decide for the koss ksc35 you'll have to pay shipping. Ask koss what the shipping is. I've heard different amounts being mentioned. And don't forget custom charges and taxes.

djgustashaw forgot to mention the Sennheiser PX100. They are open and to my ears much better than the PX200. They are dark (Lots of bass which sometimes makes the mids suffer on vocals a bit and the treble could be a bit more.) But they have very good detail.

The Senn MX400 or MX500 earbuds are less detailed. Have less bass than px100 but mids and high are more present. The choice is up to your preference of sound, detail and price.

Both are about equally (and plenty) efficient out of my 2x7mw player.

FYI, kcs35 are earclips,
PX100 are small over the head headphones.

Mar 2, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Kirosia
I don't think the senn eabuds are too efficient. My old mx300s required some power out of my old iriver (10mW). Even my grados were more efficient, if I remember correctly. At least they were louder and clearer at the same volume than the buds.

I will check that later with my 2x7mw iriver player. Senn MX300/500 vs. Alessandro/Grado MS1, OK?

Mar 2, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 21
I never said I was sure. Hence the "I think"
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 21
Hey thanks for the replies, I'm learning so much, pls keep em coming!

I think earphones shaped liked the MX500 are probably the most uncomfortable in my experience so I'm not gonna follow that lead any further unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I had spotted the Sennheiser PX200's before and thought they had two things going for them, they looked comfortable and I presumed that their sound quality would be better than similarly priced in-ear models. Also there seems to be a debate on weather the open px100's are better than the closed px200's but as I explain below isolating myself from outside sound is the second most important thing after portability for me. The noise cancellers look a bit to pricey for my needs...all above the £50 mark, and they are innately bulkier.

After reading a few reviews I think my current favourite is the koss KSC35 but I'm in the UK and there aren't any UK retailers selling them, although I guess if I'm desperate enough I could always get them shipped (good note on taxes and stuff...did you know tariffs for US imports into EU have just jumped?). Has anyone had any experience with buying from the site? How long does it usually take for stuff to arrive?

I'm also seeking some reassurance on the 5mW thing...would that be enough to drive the above mentioned headphones to drown out the drone of Boeing 737?
smily_headphones1.gif
(in this respect I think in-ear headphones have an advantage because they bring the sound right inside your ear, but then again the px200 are 'closed'...which do you thing would be more effective?

[size=xx-small]Edit: Lots![/size]

Mar 2, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 21
The px100 and px200 have different sounds as they have different functions. I'd recommend the px200 over the other for portable use since it actually provides a bit of isolation. And I wouldn't recommend driving any non-noise blocking (read: non-noise cancelling or non-earcanalphone) headphone as to be so loud as to go louder than an airplane. But I'm just paranoid. If you don't go on many plane trips, then you should be okay, but you have to realize how bad open phones can sound while flying. Of course, someone will promptly disagree me with...
wink.gif

There is no way that the px200 blocks as much sound as a decent canal phone.

Mar 2, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Kirosa said:
I never said I was sure. Hence the "I think"
biggrin.gif

That's why I was quite happy to do the comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

I threw in the PX100 too.

Conclusion:
Kirosa you probably liked the Grados best
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

But the grados are the least efficient.
The most efficient are the Senn buds. Closely followed by the PX100s. I was not sure if the mx500s were most efficient to my ears because of their more pronounced mids and highs in comparison to the px100s.
The px100s bass was loudest and you are less prone to turn down the volume with loud bass then you do with loud treble.

DeadTrying, If these two would be the only ones you had to choose between it is very much up to your taste of sound. Do you like a lot of bass or is are midrange and treble more important to you. I find the PX100s to be more relaxing to listen to but I am a midrange sucker myself. Still, I mostly choose the px100 because of the better detail.

Mar 2, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by DeadTrying
(good note on taxes and stuff...did you know tariffs for US imports into EU have just jumped?)

Then Dutch customs hasn't picked it up yet
frown.gif

I had to pay taxes on a couple of CD's the other day because I was €0,70 over the €22 limit. Very frustrating.
mad.gif

Mar 2, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 21
I fly about 6-10 times a year and I'm normally quite careful with my hearing. As I said, I liked my Sony's because they were in-ear which brought the sound closer, but I don't think they really stopped much of the outside noise coming in.

Lisa what Sony's do you have? I just re-discovered the name of my Sony's MDR EX70, and my only complaint with them is there apparent inefficiency. The sound is ok, they get a bit uncomfortable after a while but in my eyes their portability makes up for it.

For you tariff Junkies:
http://search.ft.com/search/article....rch&state=Form

Mar 2, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 21
I actually was able to snag a pair of PX200s for a couple of days recently, and I was pretty impressed. For the price, I haven't heard anything better, and they block outside noise very well, so long as you're able to get a decent seal. That's the clincher though, if you can't get a good seal with the pads and your ears, you will be dissapointed. If you can, however, you will most likely find it to be a good choice.

Mar 2, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by DeadTrying

Lisa what Sony's do you have? I just re-discovered the name of my Sony's MDR EX70, and my only complaint with them is there apparent inefficiency. The sound is ok, they get a bit uncomfortable after a while but in my eyes their portability makes up for it.

All the stock ones that came with the players and the MDR E848. Yours are reported to be less efficient than the non ear canal earbuds. I've read about it many times. But not having heard them, I don't know how much.

About The PX200. The reason I don't reccoment them to just anyone is because of that seal problem. I've had them for a short while and even if I did get a good seal it still sounded bad. Tried everything. Apparently my ears aren't shaped right for them. I could only get bass if I pressed the cups towards my head.
So my advise to you: Don't buy without the oppertunity to listen first or better yet, being able to return them so you can try at home.

Mar 2, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 21
Ye I will definitely have to try before I buy with the px200's. I think I'd prefer the sound profile of the 100's but I'm leaning toward the 200's because of the fact that they're closed.

Regarding the MDREX71SLB I just read this on a review...

Quote:

Compared to the EX70, the bass is weaker (although they still claim that it goes down to 6Hz), and the treble is tinny and it 'burns' my ears. I really can't recommend this product at all

So not looking too good. My only beef with the PX200's is that even if they do fit my ears, they'll obviously never be as portable as the Sony's, which is whats making the Koss look so attractive cos in terms of portability they lie somewhere between the Sony's and the Sens...only problem i can perceive is the fact that they're not closed (?).

Oh and thankfully I've regained musical sanity again. Anyone here heard of Elliott Smith?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back