Portable Earphone / IEM Not Made in China Or Japan
Mar 7, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 26
It would be hard to find UIEMs that aren't made in China or even Japan. Most common brands are manufactured in those places.

I heard some UIEM companies manufacture their IEMs in Indonesia or Malaysia, but I forgot their name. Some EU brands might have them made in EU

Perhaps you could consider CIEMs as those are made in their labs which usually are in US/EU countries

Edit: Btw, I understand not made in China, but why not Japan?
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 26
I wanted to buy a new replacement earphone for a lady.

She is especially particular to country of origin.

She does not think the Japanese are fore coming with the radiation level leak.

She is currently using Grado but still very much prefer the Sennheiser it replaced.

She tried the IE800 but hate it...

I can't think of anything else anymore..

Quote:
It would be hard to find UIEMs that aren't made in China or even Japan. Most common brands are manufactured in those places.

I heard some UIEM companies manufacture their IEMs in Indonesia or Malaysia, but I forgot their name. Some EU brands might have them made in EU

Perhaps you could consider CIEMs as those are made in their labs which usually are in US/EU countries

Edit: Btw, I understand not made in China, but why not Japan?
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

She is currently using Grado but still very much prefer the Sennheiser it replaced.

The time interval between gathering the materials and manufacturing them are low enough that this is a completely moot point. Not to mention other factors.
Also that doesn't really explain the China thing.
But I get what you're dealing with 
wink.gif
 Many people I know are just as particular with this sort of bias.
Does she mind if the materials were sourced from China/Japan?

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 26
That is a shame. Many earphones that come with great build quality and destroy many similarly priced offerings from brand-name companies actually originate from boutique audio companies based in China and Japan. Not to knock on continental offerings, but generally you have to spend much more to get equal sound quality and build for them. Case in point: Vsonic and HiFiMan. Perhaps try communicating to her the distinction between such companies that work on the cutting-edge even in China and the sea of knockoffs and mediocre offerings by shady companies? If all else fails, you are probably looking at the likes of Westone, Shure et al.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:
That is a shame. Many earphones that come with great build quality and destroy many similarly priced offerings from brand-name companies actually originate from boutique audio companies based in China and Japan. Not to knock on continental offerings, but generally you have to spend much more to get equal sound quality and build for them. Case in point: Vsonic and HiFiMan. Perhaps try communicating to her the distinction between such companies that work on the cutting-edge even in China and the sea of knockoffs and mediocre offerings by shady companies? If all else fails, you are probably looking at the likes of Westone, Shure et al.

Unfortunately, Westone and Shure UIEMs are manufactured in China
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #8 of 26
Exactly. You'll be looking at the esoteric stuff and CIEMs if you want the assurance. At least an Ety ER4, I believe.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #9 of 26
The lady love her HD600..more so than her HD800..

If there is 1 portable earphone, IEM CIEM that could give her the same level of satisfaction. Maybe, it would sway her...but that is, of course, I will have to lie to her so she will put it on.
Any good suggestion? Cost is not so much of a concern but prefer it be be lower than $1000.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 26
What a curious question lol.

I should point out that many if not all Sony models are made in Thailand? (Avoid the XBA series, the BA's are made in Japan.)

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 26
I have to say that the topic is one of the more strange ones I've seen, and its hard not to find IEM's that aren't made in China or Japan.  Sennheiser is one of the only ones with IEM's and earbuds I know of, oh there's Audiofly from Australia also.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #12 of 26
Just get a custom like from JH or UE or since she likes Sennheiser get the new IE800 which is like $900.

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

I smell hints of ethnic aversion/racism going on here lol. Is the lady Korean or...?

Anyways, the radiation issue is mere bollocks; I'm pretty sure whatever that is manufactured in Japan has negligible radiation levels; should be safe enough. You'll get more radiation from x-rays or heck, mobile phone usage anyways compared to the radiation coming from made-in-Japan IEMs lol.

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:
I smell hints of ethnic aversion/racism going on here lol. Is the lady Korean or...?

That's a bold claim, to suspect someone of racism.
The lady's opinions are not entirely illegitimate.
The way my national news portrayed it, stretched the nuclear disaster story to no end, seemingly made it as though it was some Dday event.
Possible bad experiences from 'Made in China' products, i'm personally not too fond of Chinese made products either.

Regardless, it's a shame, despite there being reputable Chinese companies like Audio-GD, Fiio etc.

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #15 of 26
You do realize that Japan isn't the only one who has measured radiation levels in Japan, right? It's a worldwide concern that has been investigated by multiple nations... this lady is very foolish.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back