Portable DVD-A Source
Aug 12, 2006 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

insomniac

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not sure if anyone already posted about this (did a cursory seach with no results) but it seems Panasonic's current line of portable DVD players support DVD-A / DVD-Audio playback. It is clearly advertised as such. And it says DVD Audio/Video on the unit. Unless it's a mistake by Panasonic and they meant something else by DVD-Audio playback (like it's a DVD player and you can use it as a portable audio source too). Thought there'd be some folks out there interested.

Of course, a lot of us believe that well implemented redbook sounds better than poorly implemented hi-res (DVD-A or SACD) so this probably isn't any sort of watershed product. But it's interesting and definitely a start.

EDIT: Mods, I meant to post this in the Portables forum.

Aug 13, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 2
Some like the LX9 do. However this is a product designed for playing dvd video. In our world of low margins in the electronics business, and as such cost cutting, I am going to take a guess that a pooly implemented redbook sounds better.
eek.gif

I do remember some company a while ago, sony?, planning to release an actual portable "hifi" SACD player which looked like an alien discman. I wonder if that ever made it off the advertising and near the drawing board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back