Portable digital audio: UMPC -> Pico DAC
Jan 15, 2008 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sxr71

1000+ Head-Fier
I've spent the last 2 hours reading about the Wadia iTransport and how it can extract digital audio from an iPod. I still think it will be at least a year before such devices become widespread and more than that for a portable version.

This is a fairly outlandish idea but it might be the only feasible way to get portable audio into something like the Pico.

Get: Samsung Computers - Q1 Ultra Mobile Tablet PC - NPQ1UAY01 - Details

Then change the HDD to a bigger 160GB one.

Than connect to the Pico DAC.

I know it is very pricey, but we used to spend $400+ on just iPods so the almost $800 price on this is not all that outlandish. It will be bigger than an iPod but at about 5"x9"x1" it is still portable.

I'm wondering, though would it be worth the increase in sound quality? I know this is a personal thing, but do you have any thoughts about this? Have any of you considered this before? Is anyone doing this? It wouldn't surprise me.

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 9
My biggest issue with the UMPC:s are the battery time, when they release one with at least 15 hours of music playback time, then I'll get interested...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by virtuoso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPods have 20 hours of battery life man.. while playing audio files..
check the online reviews about the product..
wink.gif

Uh, yeah, but iPods don't have the ability to use an USB DAC which was the question here :p

Maybe something like this would be perfect!?
Zypad WL 1000

biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 9
I have the iriver 120. You can use all of the iriver ihp-1xx players for digital out. It has a optical out which is better than a coaxial at longer distances. You can find them used over eBay or in the fs. If you compare the prices with other used and new mp3 players, it is highly priced. I bought mine for 152$. It is as big as the new ipod classic, just 0.28” thicker than the ipod. The models available are the ihp110, 115, 120 and 140. The last two numbers stands for the hdd. ihp110=10GB

EDIT: Btw, it sounds fantastic!

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 9
do the iriver's support any lossless file types?

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 9
only with the help of Rockbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back