Portable device for TiDAL offline playback + car aux-in with good quality?
Feb 28, 2015 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gorbenzer

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
i've bought a used 2009 audi A3 with RNS-E mk1 nav/radio and i'd love yo use the aux-in to play music downloaded as offline in TiDAL. I've tried with my iphone 6 plus and the quality is really one step forward respect to 320Kbit mp3s.

Problem is that my iphone is just 16Gb and i can download only 4/5 albums offline so i'm looking for another kind of device (that 99% means android) that supports TiDAL and allows offline content to be saved to a 32/64gb SDHC card.

Do you have any suggestion?

Actually i'm thinking at:
-buy an android phone with a good dac/amp electronics
-buy a cheap android and use it with a good dac/amp, but i fear to can't recharge the phone wile using it...
-buy a cheap android phone with a decent dac/amp and check if i notice difference with my iphone 6 plus

What you think? flac playback is really noticeable but i don't know if there will be difference between a cheap android device and a good dedicated dac/amp while listening at music in the car...

There are hifi oriented android devices that can download apps from the plaster (TiDAL?)

Thanks for your suggestions!

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 2
Can't speak to all androids but of all the ones I've owned and tried, the headphone jack is severely lacking to the point that I prefer the use of bluetooth in my car. I figured that I'm loosing quality over bluetooth but it sounds great enough in a car. I've tried both an add-on (custom built, hardwired bluetooth chip to amp to line-in on HU) vs my new HU with built-in BT. I actually prefer sound of the custom build, but the built-in is good enough... If you want good sound out of an android you're going to need to get a USB DAC. TBH, unless you plan on using the DAC/AMP/Phone also for portable use, I think i'd just hardwire everything. That's a lot of cables and things to have on your dash...

They have the microUSB > USB converters with charge port on amazon for pretty cheap, but never liked using them both at the same time.

They also have USB OTG hubs for androids so you could potentially hook up a SSD too for storage alongside the USB DAC.

What's your actual plan for getting the tidal songs on there? wifi tether from your iPhone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back