portable DAT
Aug 16, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #32 of 39
My issue with the PD-4M was size and weight (3.2kg). It would be great for recording DAT's, but I would not lug it around. That's why choosing a DAC with the M-1 was my solution. The PD-4M was really designed for great live recordings.

Once again, any of the Sony DAT players will make fine recordings if the source is very good.

Also for what it is worth, Mikhail will combine my XP-7 and DAC into one chassis. A stepped attenuater, maybe Black Gates are planned.

Aug 16, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #34 of 39
I recall reading a comment at taperssection that the M1 is not covered by Sony's flat fee for repairs, but the D100 is. Just throwing this out there, in case you're look at the units.

That's another thing about dat decks, they will need servicing eventually and it can be expensive.

Aug 17, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78
well, for that price of those portable pro-sony's, i'll go for a 2nd hand fostex...ok, it's heavy...but it's all about the sound...

How will you use the DAT? At home listening? Or strictly for taping live material? Just wondering.

Aug 17, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #37 of 39
well, i'm thinking to record live sessions...the only problem..how to do that these days with those metal scans...

how did you do that...

if live recordings are too difficult these days..what about recording from vinyl??

Aug 18, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78
well, i'm thinking to record live sessions...the only problem..how to do that these days with those metal scans...

how did you do that...

if live recordings are too difficult these days..what about recording from vinyl??

Metal scans? Not sure what you mean by that.

Oh wait, you mean the wands they use at a club to scan you for metal? Oh that's easy dude, you crotch the dat! Yes, stick the dat in ur crotch and stuff the mics in your sock and battery module in the other sock. The preamp i use is kinda large so i stuff it in the back of my pants, as long as i wear a belt i'm fine. By the way, make sure to fill your pockets with change, keys and other items that will make the wand go off, this will most likely just let you pass as security doesn't want to waste too much time wanding one person. And if the venue happens to have a walk through metal detector and you go off after emptying your pockets, just tell them you have a **** ring.

However, many venues just do a quick patdown.

Aug 18, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #39 of 39
hmmmm,
walking with a DAT in your ....that's nice.
wink.gif

i saw in many websites they only want to trade DAT-recordings..or can you buy those??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back