portable DAT
Aug 13, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #16 of 39
Oh yes: Hi-MD is another option. I'm sure they'll allow uploading of PCM analog recordings at least once they get their software sorted out, and they also have the convenience of an internal preamp. Not designed for professional mics though (minijack, not XLR).

Aug 13, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
I know the Ipaq 5550 can use those CF memory cards that go up to 4GB, which is great for taping. The next best thing is a Nomad Jukebox3 which offers usb, line in or optical in. After that is probably a laptop (if you can afford it). I would avoid MD at all costs since transferring is a pain in the ass and well, it uses atrac, and yes, Hi-MD is useless for tapers since it doesn't allow digital PCM recordings to be uploaded to your pc.

I mean, does that suck or what? I thought Hi-MD would be a real DAT-killer, but Sony has a way of f**kin' with you like that. Marantz makes a portable unit that records to CF cards also, and it's intended for on-site recording. That's where I'm looking as of today. I've looked into those devices that adapt a PDA for recording audio, I'm skeptical.

Aug 13, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78
well,

what are the best semi-pro dat portables..those tascams are too expensive for me.

Well, Sony is the last of the beasts, and I don't think they're selling them anymore. Best advice is to find one used on ebay for $300 or so. At one time Denon, Aiwa, and others made portables, but they got out of the market long ago as DAT became a niche product and not the new walkman as Sony had planned. DAT is/was pretty much a pro device. I think I still have a pre-recorded DAT of Chick Corea, a tribute to a market that never developed.

Aug 13, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #22 of 39
When I say portable, I mean the D-100/M1 size. If you're referring to the DA-P1 (since you mentioned Tascam), and units of that size like the Sony D-10, they are probably still available, but pricey as you noted.

Aug 13, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
Why are you skeptical? Core-sound's PDAudio looks like a very neat solution. Costs more however by itself than you can get a NJB3 for.

Guess I've been around to many broken Palm Pilots. Then again, the portable Sony's were not the most rugged units around either.

Aug 13, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #24 of 39
So what are people recommendations for good PCM recorders.

Ipaq looks good, but I like something a bit more rugged than a PDA. NJB 3 is discontinued, and it's kind of big to lug around.

Aug 13, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #25 of 39
Last I heard the Sony TCD-100 like the one that Solitary1 just sold was a pretty solid portable DAT recorder/player. Sony also has a higher end portable DAT recorder/player than the TCD-100 (not sure if they still make them) but it is really expensive.

Aug 14, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #27 of 39
I own the PCM-M1, it's a beauty! The D100 and M1 are identical, minus the fact that scms can be ignored on the M1 and the M1 is black and the D100 is silver (i think the D100 includes a remote and the M1 doesn't).

Check www.taperssection.com

The yard sale forum on taperssection has a constant flow of portable decks for sale especially since Phish is breaking up, quite a few people are selling their entire rigs. If you plan on stealth recording, i can understand why you want a dat, however, if you are open taping, i think you are better off with a NJB3, creative sells refurbs on ebay for $180 usually. Remember, when it comes time to transfer your dat, that's done in real-time. With a nomad, you plug it in via firewire or usb and bam, a few minutes later your recording is on your pc for editing.

Analog conversions should be out of the question. To preserve your master to your pc and later a cd, it's unacceptable to stick to analog transfers.

[rant]Sony really fouled up Hi-MD, which should've taken over the DAT market for tapers and the like, instead Sony wants to have total control (as usual). With the advent of ipod and other HD-based mp3 players/recorders (iriver, nomad, etc etc), Hi-MD simply won't make much of any impact, Sony is far too late and taking the easy way out, instead of taking risks and supporting mp3's and digital uploads, Hi-MD is completely worthless. What does it offer over the ipod? Nothing. Same battery life, less storage space for tunes, wimpy headphone out. The NJB3 has everything a taper can possibly need: great battery life, decent A/D, line in, optical in, two line outs, usb, firewire. Nice going Sony! [/rant]

I bought my M1 for under $400 on ebay (what a steal!) and it came to me in wonderful shape. I also sprung about $150 for my tascam DA-20 dat deck which features a coax in/out and then my echo miaMIDI card for $200 and then my mics ($280) and later a preamp ($300). Oh, don't forget all the cables and adapters as well and...AND...blank dat tapes (DDS-1 tapes are much cheaper than your standard dat audio tapes). Taping is quite an expensive hobby (forget headphones). Hope that helps.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 14, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #28 of 39
Aug 14, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #30 of 39
For a travel portable audio system, the Sony PCM-M1 DAT player used as a "transport" digital coaxial out to a small portable DAC (non upsampled, non oversampled, non filtered) into the XP-7 amp with the PS-1 headphones has produced the best sound that I have tried.

The DAT tapes are recorded from the dCS Verona/Verdi/Purcell at 16/48. That makes a huge difference. The output can only be as good as the recording.

While this setup is not one that can be placed inside of a pocket for walking, the resulting sound is many levels above the iPod, Sr-71 and UE-10PRO setup also used.

(Please note that the iPod/SR-71/UE-10 is a good setup.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back