Portable DACS-Audio Alchemy?
Jan 21, 2002 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

yeast

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to make a portable, or small transportable stereo headphone system to take with me on trips. does anyone know of a musical portable DAC (Audio Alchemy stuff?). Currenty I would use a PCDP with digital out (MD digital out) to the DAC, DAC to a porta Corda or CMOY. Anyone do this? Recommendations welcome.

Jan 21, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 4
I've got an AA Dac-in-the-Box, and the power supply says +/- 14VDC @400mA, and it has an 1/8" three conductor (not two conductor like most standard DC power supplies) plug that goes into the DITB. I don't know if it is a "switching" power supply or what, but you can't just hook up 14V worth of batteries and make it work. You might want to ask on the DIY board if you want to try to make a battery power supply for an AA DAC. My advice would be to use a small DAC with regular power supply when close to an AC outlet, and plug your PCDP into your portable headphone amp when in a true portable environment with no power near. The only easily transportable DAC's I know of are the AA line (out of production for about 5 years), the ART DI/O (no optical in), and the Creek (might be easiest to use batteries with if you must).

My personal opinion is that you will lose any subtle improvements a portable DAC would give you in a potentially noisy environment, unless you are possibly using Ety's. Just my opinion.

-Keith

Jan 21, 2002 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 4
My DIY portable DAC uses 6 AA (rechargeable) batteries and should last about 20 hours on them... But the article is not published yet and it would be moderately advanced project to make for people with steady hands... Probably not what you wanted to hear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back