Portable DAC vs. Desktop Dac
May 30, 2013 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ForShure

100+ Head-Fier
Good day fellow headfiers,
I am currently planning on purchasing a Schiit Asgard2 amp as the first component in my desktop setup. I was also thinking of getting the Schiit Modi DAC to go with the Asgard. The problem is that I already have a iBasso D-zero which I am using now as a DAC. Would replacing it with the Modi make enough of a difference to justify replacing the D-zero for my desktop setup?

May 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 5
Unless you notice a bunch of noise, skipping, or other odd effects with your current DAC I see no reason to upgrade.  If the combo does not synergize then you can always upgrade later, but in most cases if a DAC has low jitter, isolated power, and is made decently there is no rush to upgrade.

May 31, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Good day fellow headfiers,
I am currently planning on purchasing a Schiit Asgard2 amp as the first component in my desktop setup. I was also thinking of getting the Schiit Modi DAC to go with the Asgard. The problem is that I already have a iBasso D-zero which I am using now as a DAC. Would replacing it with the Modi make enough of a difference to justify replacing the D-zero for my desktop setup?

If you're gonna step up from a portable DAC to desktop, I'd say save your $99 now and just consider getting the Bifrost later. Good as the Modi is technically and I assume the response is likely flatter, it's still powered by USB, so $349 much later for a better power supply and a discrete output stage might make for more noticeable improvements over the D-Zero.

BTW the D-Zero as a DAC can run with charging off and the main power switch off, since that last one works only on the amp section I think. I use it with my Android and PC that way. I find it a bit warm too but the convenience of a slim portable DAC-Amp hasn't tempted me to get the Modi+Magni. Later on though I might get the Asgard2+Bifrost.

May 31, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 5
A
If you're gonna step up from a portable DAC to desktop, I'd say save your $99 now and just consider getting the Bifrost later. Good as the Modi is technically and I assume the response is likely flatter, it's still powered by USB, so $349 much later for a better power supply and a discrete output stage might make for more noticeable improvements over the D-Zero.

BTW the D-Zero as a DAC can run with charging off and the main power switch off, since that last one works only on the amp section I think. I use it with my Android and PC that way. I find it a bit warm too but the convenience of a slim portable DAC-Amp hasn't tempted me to get the Modi+Magni. Later on though I might get the Asgard2+Bifrost.

Ahhhh yes makes sense. I'd rather spend my money on an amp that will he able to drive almost whatever headphone I throw at it instead of buying a DAC that won't make much of a difference.

May 31, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 5
Portable dacs have a cleaner power supply (batteries). so you save money without needing an high quality power suppy and still outperform many ac/dc power supplies. Jkenny ciunas dac is a good portable dac that does well because of batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back