Portable DAC for laptop for use with LCD2 and JH3A (is its DAC good/better?)
Mar 26, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
If you want a semi-portable DAC/Amp that works well with the LCD's and is a very versatile product you should take a look at the Headroom Desktop Portable, it's bigger than the standard portable amp but may be more along the lines of what you're looking for. I've had one on loan from a friend that I've been using at home with my LCD-2's and I think it does a very nice job.

I agree with this recommendation. I use this has my transportable setup and it works well with the LCD-2.

Mar 26, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #18 of 26
I strongly suggest you look at the CEntrance dacport as it would match perfectly with a laptop.
It is powered via usb and very compact, it also sounds excellent.
for a bit more you could get a nuforce hdp but this needs to be plugged into a wall socket.
By the way you cannot bypass the jh3a dac so if you input analogue signal it is just reconverted by the dac.
You will get the best performance from the jh3a by feeding it digital either from usb or a coaxial spdif source.

Mar 26, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #19 of 26
GG, the Solo already has a very nice build-in reference level Wolfson Dac.  I have compared the Solo Dac to my Ibasso DB1 balance dac and they are very similar in sound character.  But as you know the Solo will only take input signal from idevices.  If you want to link you laptop to your headphone, you can do it with the JH3a as the JH3a also has a build-in DAC.  In fact, you really don't need to buy any Dac at all.  The LCD2 is a very nice fullsize phone but I doubt if you will take them outside for portable use.  If you have the JH3a/JH16 coming, you already have a nice portable setup.  Unfortunately, you will still need to have another amp to drive the LCD2 because the JH3a can't drive any other cans.  Sounds like you have your reason for at least a semi portable use for the LCD2, you could try to see if you like the Stepdance/LCD2 combo.  If not, I would recommend taking a look at the RSA SR71b/LCD2.  Very nice sound.  

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #22 of 26
Hi i am still new here, pekingduck do you mean the jh3a only works with jh16? How bout other iems or headphones? I dont really understand what you said,can you please explain to a newbie like me?

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #23 of 26
Yes that's what I mean. To be precise, there are two versions of JH16: the one that comes with the JH3A package and the normal one. The JH3A only works with the former and nothing else.

Quote:
Hi i am still new here, pekingduck do you mean the jh3a only works with jh16? How bout other iems or headphones? I dont really understand what you said,can you please explain to a newbie like me?

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #24 of 26
Darn,then for this reason that is holding me back from plunging my 1800 in... Ok,but can't we adapters to connect with output port? Is that possible? I believe it's a 8 pin mini xlr port.

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #25 of 26
I don't know if it's possible since the JH3A's phone out has 6 channels. In addition to that, I think (could be wrong) the JH3A is tuned for your specific JH16 so even if you could find an adapter the end result might not be optimal.

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #26 of 26
I use the dragonfly. It needs more power. Still decent though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back