Portable DAC for Focal Clear OGs
Mar 16, 2023 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

brokenhat

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I have the Focal Clear OG and Celestee and the Mojo 2. The Celestee's sound fantastic with the Mojo 2 but the Clears not as much, not terrible just not quite happy. I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a DAC and pair of headphones not being great together even though both might be great separately? If I wanted to buy another portable DAC that would be a better paring with the Clears with a budget of about $1000 US any suggestions? I did try and returned the iFi Gryphon, found the sound too clinical might be the right word, or no personality another? Also didn't have any use for BT, etc. Thanks.

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 2
Audio gear synergy is definitely a thing. And I think you are right with Focal's closed back, my Focal Elegia with Dekoni Limited Stellia pads sounds amazing with a Mojo 2 and Poly pairing. Focal Clear sounds good but there is something that pushes me off a bit. In fact I always add a Cayin C9 as amplifier (Class A + NuTube).

I would suggest to reach some audio shop and try other DACs or DAPs. From my gear, AK KANN did sound good with the Clear but that's a different sound presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back