Portable DAC (cont. from Headwize)
Oct 12, 2001 at 9:21 PM Post #31 of 37
>Pay per play ?

EXACTLY.

This is the dream of all companies. Microsoft is attempting it, recording companies are attempting it. With new schemes such as hard drives having support for "digital rights management" and laws in the works prohibiting existance of software without support for such things - which by the way seriously threats Open Source projects - it is only a matter of time before this is a technical reality. Attempt to do that with movies (DVIX) had failed, possibly because competing DVD existed. But if there is no alternative, similar attempt to make all audio pay-per-use might succeed. God knows consumers are indifferent.

Oct 12, 2001 at 9:52 PM Post #32 of 37
I think we're getting slightly off the topic of Portable DAC's. As far as I've seen, the only manufacturer making any (affordable?) portable player with an optical output is Sony, and I've only seen these on MiniDisco (www.minidisco.com).

However, my previous observation still holds I think. The lack of portable transports seems to run contrary to necessity of the portable DAC.

b

Oct 12, 2001 at 10:11 PM Post #33 of 37
ringtheorist,

that was also my opinion. Only Sony >$200CDN models here in Canada are available with optical outs. In US there's a US$70 Sony model.

However, I don't look at this DAC project (at least mine) as necessarily "portable".

Also, I spent two hours yesterday drawing more of the schematics in Eagle, so there's some progress on my side...

Oct 12, 2001 at 10:52 PM Post #34 of 37
I already have done several DIY DACs,a portable device is the natural progression.As far as there being no need,that is up to the individual,build one or don't,means nothing to me.
But there are some that use a portable as the sole source of music and maybe those persons would be interested in extracting the last bit of fidelity the machine is capable of.
Eliminate external and internal vibrations,add a beefy external "transport" supply and an external DAC and just maybe the personal CD player can be brought to another level,maybe not.That is the fun part,experimentation/tweeking,making something that is better than the sum of the parts.
Maybe good enough is not good enough

Oct 12, 2001 at 11:20 PM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

But there are some that use a portable as the sole source of music and maybe those persons would be interested in extracting the last bit of fidelity the machine is capable of.

that's me!

Quote:

Here in Canada we pay about 30 cents per CDR levy "for the artists". Therefore I see any manufacturer trying to prevent copying as breaking the law. I *pay* tax so I expect to be able to copy the thing.

For MD's the levy is almost $1. But my understanding of the law is that the artist has been fully compensated and copying for personal use is totally legal...

ngtheorist, virtually all CDPs in asia (sony, panasonic, jvc, aiwa, etc) have them. In north america, they leave out the optical jack, but the space on the PCB is still there. If you can find a similar jack, you could easily solder one on and drill a hole to get optical out.

rick, have you tried out the AD1866 yet? I can't believe i missed this chip earlier, I entered in evey number from 1850-1880 into their search to see what they had... but it looks GREAT- single supply, miniscue power consumption, and I out...

Oct 12, 2001 at 11:50 PM Post #36 of 37
Thomas,you did NOT miss the 1866 man ! Brand freakin' new.And seems to be specifically aimed at portability so it is my hope that it sounds good.And just got it so nothing yet,lotta stuff going on.Plus the fact that NONE of the chips have the same pinout means new layout every time.
Imagine if op-amps were like that.We would have a real tough time doing A/B !
Oh well,back to the breadboard
rolleyes.gif

Oct 13, 2001 at 9:53 PM Post #37 of 37
wow, i'm surprised that companies are still releasing R2R chips... or anything supporting only 16 bit resolutions...

I guess someone at AD's been lurking at these boards!

hmm, wait, the chip seems the same as the 1868, seems like it only has V out, no I out
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back