Portable DAC and amp for iphone (lost newbie)
May 18, 2014 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

octomuck

New Head-Fier
Hi
I am quite new to this forum and i am now literally lost!

I was introduced to head-fi org through a friend of mine, and with his help I managed to choose and buy beyerdynamic dt1350. I like it but I definitely see the need for a better source than my iphone4. I mainly listen to electronic music as well as some other genres (jazz, indie etc.) , thats why I preferred an headphone that has a neutral sound. But some songs are unbearable with the bursting trebles with my iPhone! I figured I need a DAC and amp, to have the maximum of the headphone at least.

So I have been trying to read through the related threads, but oh god, where should I start to learn? I have engineering background, I understand the concepts but I don't know where to start really. Anyways if you happen to know any good sources for beginners, I would really appreciate...

Coming back to the practicality, I want to buy a DAC/amp or DAC and amp that is portable and can work with iPhone 4 and iPhone 5s? (preferably with iPad, macbook, PCs too if possible) And if possible without jailbreak? And with the best sound combination with beyerdynamic dt1350 for electronic music, in your opinion? (Also I might consider buying an IEM in future)

I know there are options like Cypher Labs solo, Fostex, iQube, FiiO... I need suggestions why one is better than others.
If there are already such reference lists (as there was one for portable headphones), it would be also great, but I would also would like to hear the obvious answers from you (because I can't find!).

Thanks!

May 18, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 2
I would say to get the FiiO E11 portable headphone amplifier ($60), will work with iPhone 4 and iPhone 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back