Portable DAC/AMP
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #16 of 29
What is the make and model of your tube equipment?
The Focal Clear MG is only 55-Ohms, normally OTL tube amplifiers are not the best choice for lower Ohm headphone (impedance issue), but if the tube amp is a hybrid (solid state and tube), than 55-Ohm should work better.

Anyway, do you want the portable DAC/amp to work off the iPhone battery or to come with it's own built in battery?

Rather than start another thread, I will ask for advice re the alternative here, i.e., a dongle-type DAC/amp for my iPhone. I currently use the Dragonfly Red, which I have had for several years now. Is there something better? Is the Cobalt model perceptibly better? Is there something new that has become the preferred dongle-type DAC amp for the iPhone during the last couple of years?

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #17 of 29
Rather than start another thread, I will ask for advice re the alternative here, i.e., a dongle-type DAC/amp for my iPhone. I currently use the Dragonfly Red, which I have had for several years now. Is there something better? Is the Cobalt model perceptibly better? Is there something new that has become the preferred dongle-type DAC amp for the iPhone during the last couple of years?
My two cents, just keep using the DragonFly Red.

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #18 of 29
Jul 29, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #20 of 29
I have the MGs (love them), and use the Ifi Gryphon when I am plugging in at a coffee shop for a while, and an Ifi Go on the run. Both sound very good with my phone. But, I certainly hear the difference when plugging into my DAP instead. I also have a Cobalt, but prefer the Go. I haven't seen a need to power the MGs via a battery (Go and Cobalt vs. Gryphon). But, YMMV.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #21 of 29
If you plan to use with an iPhone just make sure the portable DAC has iOS support and has the necessary lightning connector included else you may need to buy it separately. There are a lot of lightning to type c/usb a female cables but some of them may not work with a certain device. If there is support it should be a breeze to connect though.
I am using the Fiio BTR5 2021
This! I came to this forum looking for exactly this. Because I'm also on btr5 2021 to use with iphone. And I CAN NOT make it go to usb dac mode on my iphone se 2020, only bluetooth. I tried with provided cable from fiio and apple's own charging cable. Can you elaborate a bit more on your experience? So far, no one from apple or fiio could give me a solution or satisfying answer.

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #22 of 29
This! I came to this forum looking for exactly this. Because I'm also on btr5 2021 to use with iphone. And I CAN NOT make it go to usb dac mode on my iphone se 2020, only bluetooth. I tried with provided cable from fiio and apple's own charging cable. Can you elaborate a bit more on your experience? So far, no one from apple or fiio could give me a solution or satisfying answer.
I don't know what happened exactly. But fiio's cable started working for usb dac connection. I am sure that I'd tested them already to no connection, but alas, now it is.

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #26 of 29
I'll keep my eye on this thread as I'm looking do do a similar thing.
I ended up getting a Chord Mojo 1 since the person I bought the MG's from recommended it. Since then, I got some IEM's (Sound Rhyme SR5's) to use with the Mojo since easier to take on the road. Good IEM for the price. I also got a Auris Euterpe to use for the MG's. A lot quieter than my home setup plus it has more headroom than the Mojo so has a better bass response. Lots of choices out there and this has been a good starting point. Maybe try something different in the future.

Aug 10, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #28 of 29
Thanks for this! I just looked up the Euterpe and it looks great. It's not a DAC though so are you still using your Mojo with it as well?
The Euterpe has a DAC built in. I tried using the Mojo with it but could not tell a significant difference between the 2.

There is a Euterpe listed on usaudiomart.com Been there for awhile so might get it for a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back