Portable DAC/Amp
Sep 6, 2008 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

daveip

100+ Head-Fier
Hey

I was just wondering, is there a portable USB DAC/Amp available for DIYers to fiddle with or if there's anything in the pipeline?? I've got an Alien DAC and another amp I can fit into one of those serpac h65? cases but was wondering if anyone has made anything for those incy wincy hammond cases.

If nothing's been made I may have a shot at making something along side my final year project in the EE labs.

Thanks!

Dave

Sep 7, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks dB. I thought I saw something somewhere but I couldn't quite put a finger as to where it was.

Its not quite something I was looking for. I was considering using a battery pack in the case rather than it being purely bus powered. I'm not too big a fan of the dc boost and I intend to use something like this with a netbook (Asus EEE 1000 to be precise) so I'd rather not run down the battery on that.

I'm not sure if I'm up to the task of designing something tailored specific to my needs/wants but I think I may have a go. Pint/Mini3 topology amp, PC2702 DAC, charging circuit and a 9v battery all in a weenie hammond case ... possible??

edit: just took too long writing this ... looking at your link Jan! Thanks!!

Sep 7, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 6
I'd highly recommend the Jan Meier amp...It can be powered in 3 ways:
9v battery
USB
DC input.

I've built an amp from Jan's kit and it really surpassed my expectations of it - sounds wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back