Portable DAC/AMP with by-passable battery
Jul 21, 2019 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ClintonL

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, i need a portable dac/amp for my laptop. It'll be running IEMS mainly (dm6 + p1's) and hd600's 1% of the time. Reason is because my laptop 3.5mm has considerable noise.
I need something that doesn't have a battery or the battery can be bypassed when plugged in as it'll be plugged in 8-10 hours a day. Budget is around $200, looking at ifi black label nano/dragonfly red etc. But open to other suggestions. Wouldn't mind a bang for buck option too.

Jul 21, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 3
Hey guys, i need a portable dac/amp for my laptop. It'll be running IEMS mainly (dm6 + p1's) and hd600's 1% of the time. Reason is because my laptop 3.5mm has considerable noise.
I need something that doesn't have a battery or the battery can be bypassed when plugged in as it'll be plugged in 8-10 hours a day. Budget is around $200, looking at ifi black label nano/dragonfly red etc. But open to other suggestions. Wouldn't mind a bang for buck option too.

You can't "bypass" the battery since USB is 5V and the LiPo batteries operate at 7.2V if you're using the HPamp stage of the DAC-HPamp.

The charge switch on portable DAC-HPamps only work so that:

1. You can bypass charging when using the Line Out, as the DAC and its output stage are powered by USB.

2. So you won't accumulate heat by continuous charge-discharge cycles on the battery. When full, disable charging. When the charge is too low but you're using it, flip it on and continue running it. Otherwise charge it when not in use so it stops charging once it's full, like overnight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back