Portable DAC/Amp poll
Nov 23, 2015 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

irenic

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
So I'm on the verge of purchasing a portable headphone amp for use with MacBook Pro/iPhone 5 and my AKG K702. I was looking at the Fiio E17k for a while but was unsure as to its sound quality. After some searching/posting I've got a list down but need help making the final decision.

Here's my list:

-OPPO HA-2
-sound blaster E5
-Cayin C5 DAC/amp
-JDS C5D
-iBasso D-0 Mkii
-Teac HA-P50
-Fiio E17k

Price point is up to $300. I would like something warmer rather than not to complement the k702s, and I don't know if I could handle any more options haha. If there is something else you feel would be perfect the please tell me otherwise please just give your vote of confidence to the one you feel is best. I don't expect anyone to be able to compare them all but if you could pick a favorite (or the one you would buy) and tell me that would help me out a lot, thanks.

Irenic.

P.S. I am leaning a bit towards the OPPO

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 11
The reason no one has replied yet is because you left off an option in the poll. viz None of the above.

Headphone amps don't 'improve' the sound quality poer se. That's impossible. The reason you might want one is for one of two reasons.

1. FR differences due to the output impedance of the player being more than 1/8 of the input impedance of the headphones.

That's not an issue in your use case. iPhone output impedance 4.5 Ohms, input impedance K702 62 Ohms. Perfect.

2. Insufficient volume due to high input impedance and/or low sensitivity of the headphones in question.

Again not an issue in your use case. k702 105 dB/V. That's potentially deaf wish loud. Night club, head in bass bins loud. Ouch loud.

Save yourself some money and don't bother. It's just something else to carry round, risk losing and have to be regularly charged up.

Open back headphones can make you unpopular in public places. So if you do get a less anti social pair in future simple make sure they have a high sensitivity and low (but not very low) to medium input impedance and it's problem solved before it even started. Lot's of excellent examples available.

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 11
The Oppo HA-2 is probably the best on the list in terms of Sound stage, but bang for your buck, The Cayin C5 is fantastic. It's a step up from the Fiio E17.. But you will save yourself a few bucks on Amazon. You won't be disappointed with the Fiio.. But in the back of your mind will always know that for a few bucks more you could've gotten just a little bit more out of your AKG's.. Just my 2 cents..

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 11
Be sure to research and confirm which units are easily iPhone compatible. Some may require a connection to a powered usb hub and then a camera connection kit. Starts to look like a speggiti bowl. The Jds web site has some info on this issue. On your list the Teac and oppo are plug and go. Other may be as well. The teac includes an app.

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 11
The reason no one has replied yet is because you left off an option in the poll. viz None of the above.

Headphone amps don't 'improve' the sound quality poer se. That's impossible. The reason you might want one is for one of two reasons.

1. FR differences due to the output impedance of the player being more than 1/8 of the input impedance of the headphones.

That's not an issue in your use case. iPhone output impedance 4.5 Ohms, input impedance K702 62 Ohms. Perfect.

2. Insufficient volume due to high input impedance and/or low sensitivity of the headphones in question.

Again not an issue in your use case. k702 105 dB/V. That's potentially deaf wish loud. Night club, head in bass bins loud. Ouch loud.

Save yourself some money and don't bother. It's just something else to carry round, risk losing and have to be regularly charged up.

Open back headphones can make you unpopular in public places. So if you do get a less anti social pair in future simple make sure they have a high sensitivity and low (but not very low) to medium input impedance and it's problem solved before it even started. Lot's of excellent examples available.

Hey,
Thanks for the reply, I'm fairly new to high end audio so if you can clarify a few things that would be greatly appreciated.

I am aware that an amp does not improved sound quality but a DAC can right? If I understand correctly it can allow for higher quality playback (I heard that iPhone was limited to cd quality is that right?) as well as just improve things like soundstage, bass, detail and the like.

Also I don't know the ins and outs of impedance yet but when I connected my k702s to my iPhone (since I did not plan on an amp from the get go) I could only get them to a good listening level (in a quite room) at full volume and it left me wanting more. Coming out of my audio interface from my Mac they did a bit better.

Finally when I ask for an portable amp it does not mean I'm going to be taking walks with it or listening in a coffee shop. I mean to use these in quiet places other than my desk at home. I won't be trying to do anything else, just listening to music someplace by myself. I already have some other headphones for public use.

Thanks,
-Irenic

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 11
I am aware that an amp does not improved sound quality but a DAC can right?

No. Not really. Provided the OEM manufacturer follows the supplied default support circuit recommendation the unit will perform as per spec. i.e. at least one order of magnitude better than human hearing. That's not to say some manufacturers don't skimp on the suggested recommendation in order to gain a competitive advantage. i.e. 'Our unique extra special special ultra hi-fi improvement'. But in fact I don't thing it's possible now to buy a brand new simple DAC that isn't transparent when competently implemented. DAC on an iPhone is great.

when I connected my k702s to my iPhone (since I did not plan on an amp from the get go) I could only get them to a good listening level (in a quite room) at full volume and it left me wanting more

Fair enough. Most people would regard 105 + dB as sufficient. I mean permanent hearing damage isn't far off but they are your ears, not mine, so please yourself.

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 11
Thank you again,

Couple of things then. what is the point and when would one buy a dedicated DAC? (I get the amp part). Also I know what 105 db sound like and these headphones are not getting even close with my phone, so you think there is something wrong with my phone/headphones? Should I try and get a replacement pair? Cause many different people have tried them and they all crank to full volume and I end up having to explain why every time.

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 11
If I may interject... The reason most people utilize portable amps, is to enhance the sound, and lower the background floor (white noise, also called hiss in the background). Generally enhancing the sound as a whole, not really for making your sound louder. With your Portable Audio player (DAP) not having to work as hard, Imaging and subtle details are brought out. Hence the reason why the phrase, I hear so much more than I ever knew was there.

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 11
If I may interject... The reason most people utilize portable amps, is to enhance the sound, and lower the background floor (white noise, also called hiss in the background). Generally enhancing the sound as a whole, not really for making your sound louder. With your Portable Audio player (DAP) not having to work as hard, Imaging and subtle details are brought out. Hence the reason why the phrase, I hear so much more than I ever knew was there.

^ this

I had to cringe a bit when I read up there, "Headphone amps don't 'improve' the sound quality per se. That's impossible."

Your response is quite good.
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 11
^ this

I had to cringe a bit when I read up there, "Headphone amps don't 'improve' the sound quality per se. That's impossible."

Your response is quite good.:wink:   

Thanks, and honestly, no disrespect to RonaldDumsfield...
What he stated wasn't inaccurate. He's absolutely correct. Amps will help with those issues he stated; however, my point was simply if one wanted to add some coloration to the music due to the audio track mastering or just your idea sound signature needs to be altered, the amplifier will provide the extra juice to your DAP it needs while adjusting the EQ settings. Not every track is perfectly mastered to a global reference. Therefore, colorization will be there if you listen out for it.
Perfect example, listen to Meshuggah's first album then listen to their newest album.. Tell me there isn't a difference. The same goes for any other band out there. Once you have an idea as to how you want the track or album to sound, create an EQ setting for it, and listen to another artist with those same settings. It won't sound the same, causing you to make another EQ setting. Sometimes only very little EQ'ing is required, sometimes a major adjustment needs to be made. Utilizing an amplifier just gives the EQ'ing a more noticeable effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back