Portable DAC/Amp for use on Android to use with se846.
Sep 29, 2014 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

worminater

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for something to plug into an Android device or Mac to feed my Shures while on the go.  I have an O2/ODAC that works well at stationary; but direct connect to my MBA or MBP are both noisy; as is my cellphone.  Any recommendations on pairing?

I currently have FiiO e17 which is a bit too noisy even in low gain mode; so I'm hesitant to make a purchase  without first hand recommendations...

Considerations..
Geek Out 1000||450||100 USB DAC 
AUDIOQUEST - DRAGONFLY V1.2 USB DAC
Audioengine D3 (Strong enough amp..?)
HeadAmp Pico Amp/DAC
RSA Predator 
..?  I'm sure there are many better options I've not found yet..  Price matters but I can be swayed if things are *that* much better. 

-Chris

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 9
I would also consider the JDS labs C5D
Are you planning to use it with a USB y cable and external battery pack?

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 9
  I would also consider the JDS labs C5D
Are you planning to use it with a USB y cable and external battery pack?

Ideally; a brick band'd to my phone I plug my IEMs into would be all; I'd want it to fit into a pocket and that's about as big as would fit....

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 9
which phone are you using?

I've used the following with my Xperia Z2 and HTC one M8
Fiio E17, JDS labs C5D, HRT Microstreamer, Fiio E18, Stoner Acoustics UD120
with my JH16FP

The main thing is that the USB audio compatibility varies with the phone and rom and kernel. For example, on my HTC one m8 if I'm running a sense based rom I can use the HRT microstreamer, but I can't control the volume. Its set at line level. On my Xperia z2 on any kind of rom AOSP or stock I can control the volume. 
Another example is that the Fiio E17 doesn't work on my HTC one m8 no matter what, but it works fine on the xperia Z2. 

So yeah its kind of hit or miss. Best bet is to get a dac with its own battery and separate charging circuit, like the JDS C5D, Fiio E18, or Encore mDAC. At least with the JDS C5D the background is black on my IEMS. My only gripe about it is the soundstage is a bit narrow

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 9
  which phone are you using?

I've used the following with my Xperia Z2 and HTC one M8
Fiio E17, JDS labs C5D, HRT Microstreamer, Fiio E18, Stoner Acoustics UD120
with my JH16FP

The main thing is that the USB audio compatibility varies with the phone and rom and kernel. For example, on my HTC one m8 if I'm running a sense based rom I can use the HRT microstreamer, but I can't control the volume. Its set at line level. On my Xperia z2 on any kind of rom AOSP or stock I can control the volume. 
Another example is that the Fiio E17 doesn't work on my HTC one m8 no matter what, but it works fine on the xperia Z2. 

So yeah its kind of hit or miss. Best bet is to get a dac with its own battery and separate charging circuit, like the JDS C5D, Fiio E18, or Encore mDAC. At least with the JDS C5D the background is black on my IEMS. My only gripe about it is the soundstage is a bit narrow

I have a Moto G right now, and an OnePlus One on the way.  I'm not really worried about compatibility of the e17 and my phone(s), just the sound quality; if i plug it into one of my laptops the background on e17 is distracting.  Black floor on your JDS C5D sounds *very* promising; that's moved markedly up the list for me on that comment alone.

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 9
John Seaber over at JDS also provides great turnaround on service and just overall great customer service. Something to consider if you're in the US. Located just outside of St. Louis. Owned their cMoy and their C421

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 9
I think C5D is a good choice.
biggrin.gif

But in my opinion, you should buy a high end dap, such as ak100.

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 9
Oct 25, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 9
I use a moto g with a HiFimeDIY android DAC with USB audio player pro. Connect it to my JDS cMoyBB to use with some grado igis. Can't be happier. If I'm out and about, I just use a nine volt with the cmoy, but I use a 12v adapter with it at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back