Portable DAC / AMP for HTC One?
Nov 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

theant

New Head-Fier
Mandatory first....well, second,...post. Long time audiophile, but new to the forum and audiophile tuned gear. I've done quite a bit of research over the last couple weeks and found a great set of headphones in my price range (DT770 ). So thanks to head-fi and the members here for all of the info. Anyways, on to the question...

What I'm looking for at this point is a good DAC/AMP combo for my HTC One. My price range is <$200. I've invested a lot of time researching Fiio's E10, E07k and E18. While the E18 seemed to be the best for my needs, this thread keeps reporting issues with the device. I'm hoping for something with decent battery life, relatively neutral with good highs (the DT770s cover my bass) and a soundstage better than that of the HTC One. Something that could also serve as a DAC for my desktop would definitely be preferred. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 6
Research the Fiio E17 it's what I'm getting soon. Portable dac/amp can be used with a computer and phones.

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 6
I got the E17 to pair with my GS3 and it didn't change the SQ at all, it just got louder. I didn't try USB OTG. But paired with my cheap laptop through USB out did give me better SQ. I suggest getting a DAP like Sandisk or Fiio X3 if you are not planning to use it with your laptop or other gadgets. I believe the new E17k is coming out next year.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 6
I've read the e17 and e07k will actually work as a dac with some android sets, and better SQ is really what I'm hoping for. Hooking up to a PC is definitely a plus, but I'm not sure I really need all of the ports the e17 provides. My only issue with both the e17 and e07k is the interface. I'd like to be able to reach in my pocket and turn a knob or if it's resting in my car mount to not have to flip my phone over to change settings or volume out.

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 6
but the problem is they can only be used (for now) with one app - recorder pro. It can't work with PowerAmp, Neutron player etc. The only AMP that can currently do that is the E18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back