Portable DAC/AMP for commuting & work
Dec 1, 2021 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BaTou069

500+ Head-Fier
Hi HeadFiers

I'm searching for a portable DAC/AMP that can work with a mac, iphone and android phone via USB-C.

Currently my main headphone/iem is the NAD HP50 and the Shure SE846 that I only use with the Fiio UTWS3, but I'm thinking of purchasing:
- a planar IEM as TinHiFi P1, P1 or P2 OR the 7hz timeless (saw a Zeus vid explaining that the P2 needs serious power)
- a new over-ear, either a Denon 9200 or DCH Aeon Noire

I did have an eye on the Chord Mojo for quiet some time now (years), but battery and heat issues, and not being future proof USBc kind of make me think it's not the right choice.

Using the Fiio UTWS3, I would also consider the Fiio UTWS 5 for IEMs, if the added power is enough to drive the planar IEMs

I kind of chase the sound of the original Hifiman he400 that I used to own, but something with less hurting treble and lusher oldschool-shure-style mids.

Any other recommendation is welcome

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi HeadFiers

I'm searching for a portable DAC/AMP that can work with a mac, iphone and android phone via USB-C.

Currently my main headphone/iem is the NAD HP50 and the Shure SE846 that I only use with the Fiio UTWS3, but I'm thinking of purchasing:
- a planar IEM as TinHiFi P1, P1 or P2 OR the 7hz timeless (saw a Zeus vid explaining that the P2 needs serious power)
- a new over-ear, either a Denon 9200 or DCH Aeon Noire

I did have an eye on the Chord Mojo for quiet some time now (years), but battery and heat issues, and not being future proof USBc kind of make me think it's not the right choice.

Using the Fiio UTWS3, I would also consider the Fiio UTWS 5 for IEMs, if the added power is enough to drive the planar IEMs

I kind of chase the sound of the original Hifiman he400 that I used to own, but something with less hurting treble and lusher oldschool-shure-style mids.

Any other recommendation is welcome

Thanks!
Chord is going to launch the Mojo 2 on January 31st 2022
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/coming-soon

The topics that have been rumored to be improved are: SQ, USB-C, Battery, Desktop Mode, Filters
There has been a lot of discssion and speculation about streaming functionality, whether it will be compatible with the Poly, have improved wireless functionality built in (unlikely IMO) or a new Poly 2.

Not sure when it will be available, the launch had to be delayed due to supply chain issues.
But likely a very good choice for your use case, at least in terms of SQ.

I hesitated to spend the money when I bought the Mojo, but it turned out to be one of the best purchases I made in Hifi.
In the meantime a used 2Qute works in my stereo and a Hugo 2 is my high-end headphone/IEM driver.

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 3
Are you looking for something with bluetooth or a dongle? If you're considering a dongle, this site has a lot of reviews and opinions - https://andyaudiovault.com/100-dongles-battle-royale/. You wouldn't have to worry about another battery (runs off the host device's battery) and there are some really good options out there nowadays.

Regarding the Mojo, it probably is the best sounding portable amp/dac I own, but the battery management is terrible. It discharges when not in use worse than any other device I've seen and does get quite hot when charging while listening. I would highly consider getting the Mojo 2 if the features mentioned above are true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back