portable dac/amp for 400+ ohm headphones?
Jan 27, 2016 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Andrew Rieger

500+ Head-Fier
So I recently picked a pair of Audio Technica R70x's which are 470 ohm. I like to walk around my house and listen to music so I am looking for a portable dac/amp that can drive them. I'm hoping to keep the cost under $200 but I'm not finding much. All the portable dac/amps in my price range seem to only effectively power sub 200 ohm headphones. 

I have been seeing a lot of recommendations for the Fiio E12 and Cayin C5 but those are strictly amps. Do you think the dac built into the iPhone 6 with a connection from the headphone jack into an amp like the C5 or E12 would give me enough audio quality to make the R70x's worth the purchase? I know people around here recommend against double amping. I'm just not finding any battery powered dac/amp that can power a 400+ ohm headphone that are sub $200. 

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 4

So you don't think the headphone out on the iPhone 6 into a Cayin C5 would be sufficient? The reviews I'm reading on the C5D say there is a drop in quality when driving higher ohm headphones. 

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rieger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So you don't think the headphone out on the iPhone 6 into a Cayin C5 would be sufficient? 

I haven't used any headphone output as a line out apart from the AK100 that didn't sound weirdly thin but had lack of bass detail. Basically, they weren't really designed to output to a 1000ohm input (if not higher), like the input on an amplifier. It may not behave the same way as an actual "load" that they have to drive, but it still has some undesirable effect on the sound. I just assume it's a riskier move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rieger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reviews I'm reading on the C5D say there is a drop in quality when driving higher ohm headphones. 

They all would considering it's a 470ohm headphone, but I posted the C5D anyway because it still has a 4volt++ output at 300ohms, compared to its full 7volts I think at 32ohms.

If you really want to be safe with a battery-powered amplifier in terms of output power, look for an 18v (two 9v battery) CMOY, but of course in that case you'll really have to use the headphone out of the iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back