Portable DAC/amp designed for smartphones? e.g. E18, HA-2
Sep 23, 2016 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bazirker

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, wondering if there are any other portable DAC/amp units out there that are like the Fiio E18 and Oppo HA-2 in that they are intended for use specifically with smartphones?  I'm interested in getting a unit that works via USB OTG with my smartphone as a DAC but can also charge the phone.  I'm trying to decide between the E18 and the pricier HA-2 and am interested in what other options might be on the market.

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 5
The AudioQuest Dragonfly series can be used with a mobile device via OTG cable.  There's a thread about the Dragonfly on pg 1 of this board.  

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 5
The HA2 can charge, but afaik you need to use a different usb port for charging as the micro-usb one doesn't provide enough power, so no charging while listening (unless you are using an iPhone). 
However - there is a new HA2-SE coming out shortly, so that might be worth taking a look at when more specs are available.-

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 5
  The AudioQuest Dragonfly series can be used with a mobile device via OTG cable.  There's a thread about the Dragonfly on pg 1 of this board.  

Yep, pretty cool, but that appears to just be a DAC/amp.  I'm looking for something that can charge my device on the road too.

The HA2 can charge, but afaik you need to use a different usb port for charging as the micro-usb one doesn't provide enough power, so no charging while listening (unless you are using an iPhone). 
However - there is a new HA2-SE coming out shortly, so that might be worth taking a look at when more specs are available.-

Thanks for the info!  I'll have to look into that new one too.

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 5
There are some companies that make OTG adapters that have a power input so you can charge your device while using the OTG mode.

Seems to be device specific, not really sure why. I have one for my Galaxy Tab S, but it only works with that device and not my other Android devices.

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back