Portable, comfortable headphones?..
Jan 20, 2005 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Cliekid

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I want to get an iPod or an iPod Mini with a Powerbook G4 (I'm still waiting for those G5 books..), and want to know if anyone has some advice about headphones. I have Sennheiser PX200's, but I want something that has a small case or something that I can slip into my pocket.

I hear Shure's sound good, but are..funky to put in your ear and hurt after about a half an hour of use, and they say the B and O A8 phones don't fit in your ear, but go over it, and the soundquality isn't great...

Any opinions / ideas / news 'bout PowerBook G5's? :p

-Clie

Jan 20, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 12
i have the shure's and they definitely are not uncomfortable, i frequently sleep with them in and have worn them for as much as 8 hours straight without taking them out. The only think you need to be careful of is the isolation in that you really cannot hear anything besides the music. And as far as sound goes they are excellent to my tastes.... but if you are more for the less musical and more analytical sound where the detail and clarity is absolutely stunning i would choose the er4p's but if you're looking for durability portability and an overall great sounding headphone go wiht the e3's

Jan 20, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 12
What about the Shure E5's? Anyone know anythin 'bout those? When I get my "equipment" (I'll dish out..alot at one time), I want something that will last me for a while..and E5's look good, so do the E3's, any opinions? =P

-Clie

Jan 20, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by emadgin
i have the shure's and they definitely are not uncomfortable, i frequently sleep with them in and have worn them for as much as 8 hours straight without taking them out. The only think you need to be careful of is the isolation in that you really cannot hear anything besides the music. And as far as sound goes they are excellent to my tastes.... but if you are more for the less musical and more analytical sound where the detail and clarity is absolutely stunning i would choose the er4p's but if you're looking for durability portability and an overall great sounding headphone go wiht the e3's

x2.. Im on a tight budget so e2cs were my choice. They are the best sub $70 canalphones IMHO. They isolate better than the sharp or Sony, so they fit my needs better than either of those. I dont mind the recessed highs. IMHO their highs are not as severely recessed as I as expecting. But then again none of my familar cans in my sig have very pronounced highs (except the EX51). If your player has an adjustable treble EQ that helps a LOT. If you dont mind recessed highs above 6Khz they will please you. My creative muvo has EQ sliders at 4K and 16K and that helps a lot.

IMHO e2c are as comfey as my EX51 and KSC75. I wore them for ~5 hours yesterday and they fit great. Their sound is very mellow IMHO... and does not fatigue at all IMHO.

I like their midrange clarity. I was listening to some solo xylophone and you could hear the mallet strike the wood block, AND the resonance of the wood as the nore decayed... Very cool IMHO.

Garrett

Jan 20, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 12
I'd choose E3 if you're planning on moving around a lot during listening.

I'd choose ER4S if you're planning on mostly sitting still during listening.

I wouldn't get ER4P, I think the benefit is lost now, with the newer more powerful portable players. And that p-s cable is a pain in the butt.

MHO

Jan 20, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke
I'd choose E3 if you're planning on moving around a lot during listening.

I'd choose ER4S if you're planning on mostly sitting still during listening.

I wouldn't get ER4P, I think the benefit is lost now, with the newer more powerful portable players. And that p-s cable is a pain in the butt.

MHO

I'd plan on doing most listening at a desk / table or in a car...I wouldn't be moving much with the headphones - I don't jog or the like =P, But you say the ER4P isn't worth it, why? It says it has better bass response (Ala site, sales tactic maybe?)..and p-s cable?

I basically just want some headphones that are comfortable, have good quality, and have a somewhat short cord (So I dont have it getting tangled and such..long cords are a pain)...

-Clie

Jan 21, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 12
If your willing to spend the money needed to get the Shure E5's you might as well look into custom IEM's like Ultimate Ear and Sensaphonic. I have the Sensaphonics and they sound great from an ipod unamped, my upgradeitis is all but cured thanks to them
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back