Portable Closed Supra-Aural <$150 Help Please
Feb 15, 2009 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

decayed.cell

100+ Head-Fier
I've been through a few portable headphones already, my last pair were the KSC 75's which I liked but unfortunately I lost the clip for one of the ears (who the hell's idea was it to make it detachable anyway?). I quite liked them for their balance although the highs were a bit harsh, and they were of open design so they leaked and did not isolate.

Before you guys suggest JBL Reference 410/AKG K24P/Whatever the rename is I've already gone through two of those pairs, they snapped off the hinge of the cup. PX100 open. D1001/D301/D501/P372 openish. Q40 Im guessing is too big for portable. iGrado has a headband which gets in the way of my glasses. ES7 I wasn't sure about... HD 202 seems a bit big, as does the HD 280. HD-25 of course are too expensive. What about the MDR-V6? I have Elecom CL430 at the moment but they have a huge veil over mids and treble which I cannot stand at all.

Oh and earbuds/IEMs do not fit at all they keep falling out because of my really weirdly shaped ear canals.

So, after all that rant do you guys have any suggestions apart from getting new ears?

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lauinbeta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ES7's are pretty awesome. Only thing is, you can only get them for less than $100 if you buy used.

Actually I've decided to extend it to $150 now... yeah the ES7s look great its just that they're lacking with isolation apparently

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 12
What music do you listen to?

I can vouch for the es7s. The only thing is comfort, but for portable use it should be ok since you probably won't be using it for long periods of time anyway. Oh yeah, they are also kinda bright so you may wanna audition them first. Other than that, i think they're quite suitable.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 12
RH5MA. They isolate quite well, have nice sound, are cheap/durable and 5.8 oz.(w/o the cable). The only issue might be the cable length. Easy enough to shorten or have someone shorten esp. since they are $50 so another few bucks to have them shortened probably isn't a deal breaker. There is a thread about them...http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/yam...2009-a-402483/.

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What music do you listen to?

I can vouch for the es7s. The only thing is comfort, but for portable use it should be ok since you probably won't be using it for long periods of time anyway. Oh yeah, they are also kinda bright so you may wanna audition them first. Other than that, i think they're quite suitable.

Bright I don't mind, I listen to mainly altern/progressive/punk rock, classical, pop

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RH5MA. They isolate quite well, have nice sound, are cheap/durable and 5.8 oz.(w/o the cable). The only issue might be the cable length. Easy enough to shorten or have someone shorten esp. since they are $50 so another few bucks to have them shortened probably isn't a deal breaker. There is a thread about them...http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/yam...2009-a-402483/.

Problem there is getting it shipped to Australia is about 85 USD, bringing it to 130 AUD or so. Cheaper is better, I wonder if anywhere local stocks it *hunts*

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 12
A couple of places like Full Compass(Full Compass - Pro Audio, Video, A/V & Lighting Equipment - Largest Microphone Dealer in the Nation) and Ace Photo Digital(Ace Photo Digital Camera Store: buy digital cameras camcorders mp3 players) say they ship international. Maybe it couldn't hurt to contact them and see what they say about the shipping costs.

http://www.warehouse123.com/ProductI...=PANRPHTX9-SLV is more unknown but gets 4-stars on Amazon Japan and one head-fier liked it better than the D1001.

Maybe these interest you AKG K 518 LE - HEADPHONES (DIABLO RED)- A PAIR OF
Comes up as $97AUS shipped.

ES7 is good and maybe they have enough isolation.

PX200 maybe.

I tried. Maybe gave you something helpful
normal_smile .gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple of places like Full Compass(Full Compass - Pro Audio, Video, A/V & Lighting Equipment - Largest Microphone Dealer in the Nation) and Ace Photo Digital(Ace Photo Digital Camera Store: buy digital cameras camcorders mp3 players) say they ship international. Maybe it couldn't hurt to contact them and see what they say about the shipping costs.

http://www.warehouse123.com/ProductI...=PANRPHTX9-SLV is more unknown but gets 4-stars on Amazon Japan and one head-fier liked it better than the D1001.

Maybe these interest you AKG K 518 LE - HEADPHONES (DIABLO RED)- A PAIR OF
Comes up as $97AUS shipped.

ES7 is good and maybe they have enough isolation.

PX200 maybe.

I tried. Maybe gave you something helpful
normal_smile .gif

I was looking at the HTX7 actually thats like 80 AUD shipped didn't know they made a 9 version. Hmm

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 12
Hmm, the HTX7 was very uncomfortable for me.
I'd recommend the AKG K81DJ/K518 (the same thing, the latter is just with a black finish) or if isolation isn't that big a deal, the Denon D1001
smily_headphones1.gif

The D1001 has an awesome soundstage, lovely bass and Markl moddable if you want it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back