Portable Closed Phones <$200
Oct 9, 2008 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Demonmnky

Head-Fier
I need a good closed headphone for bus commuting. I'm basically considering the usual suspects in this category:

AKG DJ181
Senn. HD-25-1
Beyer DT770
Denon 1001
AudioTechnica ES7

My rig is a 5.5g iPod with a Meier Headsix. So, pleanty of power for any of these phones. I currently own some Denon D2000s and I love them so I'm leaning toward the 1001 but, I've read that they don't block out very much noise like their big brothers. I don't think that would be acceptable.

I've owned the ES7s but I don't really like they way they feel on my head. The headband is ugly as heck.

Beyers are huge. That's their only real drawback, IMO. I like their sound and they isolate pretty well.

I've never auditioned the AKG DJ181 or HD25 but those seem to be the standard answer here for people in my position.

PS. I can't take IEMs anymore. They're just not comfortable for me. Line noise bothers the heck out of me as well. Unless someone can recommend some nice comfortable IEMS for under $200. The Ety ER4-S is not good.

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 5
HD25s I feel will fit your needs more than sufficiently. They do clamp on your head a bit but then again, very hard to get around that if you are trying to isolate yourself from outside sound. Excellent sound quality and built like a tank. One of the more musical pairs of headphones that Sennheiser produces and the size is right for portable use.

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 5
HD25-1 is supra-aural and more portable ..

its also very detailed and imo better than HD280.

for Commuting its best.

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 5
I guess I should've asked this in the original post.

Has anyone tried out the AKG DJ181?

Any headphone with a Bassboost switch rouses suspicion in my mind.

Oct 9, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 5
If you need a lot of isolation, I'd add my vote to the HD25-1 category.

However...I did just get my AT ESW9s in, and I love them! They are out of the price range you stated though
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back