Portable Closed Headphones.
Jan 5, 2014 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Vague

Head-Fier
Been looking for a pair of closed headphones for portable use. I have been looking at these. Custom One Pros, Shure SRH440/840 and Sony Prestige MDR-1R. I mostly listen to Metal, acoustic and dubstep. So what ones would you say would suit my needs more? Also i would be open to suggestions, budget is around £170.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 8
The best portable, closed headphones have always been the Sennheiser HD25-1 II's.  The V-Moda M-80's tried to compete, but I'm not sure they ever sounded as good and they wouldn't fit big heads (I should know
wink.gif
).  They're more or less indestructible with almost every part user-replaceable.  Plus, they've always been very high on sound quality for a closed headphone and have isolation that's among the best.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi,

Shure Srh-840 is always a solid pick.

You should also consider SoundMagic HP100
http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-hp100-premium-over-the-ear-folding-headphones-black

Yamaha HPH-Pro500 seem to be also a great pick for metal, but I think it is a little bit over your budget.

Best Luck!

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 8
  The best portable, closed headphones have always been the Sennheiser HD25-1 II's.  The V-Moda M-80's tried to compete, but I'm not sure they ever sounded as good and they wouldn't fit big heads (I should know
wink.gif
).  They're more or less indestructible with almost every part user-replaceable.  Plus, they've always been very high on sound quality for a closed headphone and have isolation that's among the best.

Oh, i should of mentioned that is prefer over ear. 
  Hi,

Shure Srh-840 is always a solid pick.

You should also consider SoundMagic HP100
http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-hp100-premium-over-the-ear-folding-headphones-black

Yamaha HPH-Pro500 seem to be also a great pick for metal, but I think it is a little bit over your budget.

Best Luck!

SoundMagic HP100 looks good but the Yamaha HPH-Pro500 doesn't impress me "sorry" Do you have anymore recommendations? Also thanks for your help. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 8
Have you tried Yamaha Hph-Pro 500?

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 8
  No i haven't and i know i shouldn't base a headphone on looks but it really put me of it. =(

I haven't tried them either, but I own Yamaha EPH100 (in-ear) and Yamaha HPH-200 (Open air-On Ear) and both have similar sound signature. And based on reviews and measurements, HPH-Pro500 seem to have also similar sound signature.

In my opinion Yamaha is nowadays one of the most underrated headphone brand out there. They make really good sounding headphones but I guess they don't have good marketing techniques.

Both HPH-200 and EPH-100 are really warm sounding and forgiving headphones, with powerful bass but still great clarity and lively highs. Both work as amazing all rounders, no matter if you are listening to Therion or Andrea Bocellisound good, they are for sure not as neutral as some other headphones with 'audiophile/sound engineering' signatures, but they never fail to provide a warm and engaging experience.

I've read some HPH Pro500 owners saying they goes really well with metal.

Metal is not an audiophile genre then it is quite difficult to find really good recordings; most of them are compressed and then they tend to have really low dynamic range and often quite un-natural highs. Both Yamaha headphones I own make metal recordings sound impressive, explosive and detailed and never let you know if the recordings are well mastered or not, they simply sound good. Their bass bleeds a little into the mids, and then I think this is a must for metal.

Best Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back