Portable closed headphones w/ min. leakage ~$150
Oct 27, 2008 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
Other thread got a little too far away from what I wanted.. so starting a new one (anyone know how to delete/lock a thread?)

I will be using these mainly on a plane and in my hotel room. So when I say portable, I dont mean so I can walk around a city with them on, I just mean durable enough to throw in my bag. In essense, I want the best closed headphones that are the least bulky and offer good isolation and minimal leakage and prefer to stay away from noise cancellation. I already have a pair of audio-technica ath-ad700s that I love but they are way too bulky and open to bring along. Looking to try something with a little more punch (comparable to grados) for rock music.

What I am looking for:
Closed air headphones
minimal sound leakage
not too bulky (don't want too be that guy on the plane)
NOT IEMs or Sennheiser hd280s
Good punch for rock (pearl jam, led zep, nine inch nails, porcupine tree)
$100-$150

Right now I am looking at
audio technica ath-es7
audio technica ath-esw9 (may be out of price range)
sennheiser HD25-1s (may also be out of price range)

What do you guys think out of those 3? Will the ATs be punchy enough? Any other headphone suggestions?

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Save up your money and buy the HD25-1 II, used if you have to.

Yeah those seem so to be the best choice or going for IEMS for the plane and a set of grados for the hotel (thus selling my ad700s most likely). I just would hate to miss out on sound quality and sound stage using IEMS on the plane.

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 13
AKG K81djs might work and they're very reasonably priced. Bass may overwhelm occasionally for rock but it does ok and is about half the target budget at ~$50-$70

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rage3324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah those seem so to be the best choice or going for IEMS for the plane and a set of grados for the hotel (thus selling my ad700s most likely). I just would hate to miss out on sound quality and sound stage using IEMS on the plane.

I couldn't say how IEMs would compare, but if not going with IEMs, then the HD25-1 II seems best.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rage3324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just would hate to miss out on sound quality and sound stage using IEMS on the plane.

The ER4Ps are near your budget (Froogle) and would have higher sound quality than the AD700s or HD25-1 II.
wink.gif

I assume you're just trying to stay away from active noise reduction?

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER4Ps are near your budget (Froogle) and would have higher sound quality than the AD700s or HD25-1 II.
wink.gif

I assume you're just trying to stay away from active noise reduction?

I am a novice when it comes to IEMS technology.. how will those little suckers actually provide better sound quality than the AD700s or HD25-1 II? There's no way it can provide better sound stage, right?

I am trying to stay away from active noise reduction, unless I would just get a set of audio-technicas. I do not need to be on a desert island, just enough isolation to enjoy the music

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 13
I'd say DT250 or k271, depending on how much bass you like. If the bulk really bothers you, HD25, but either of the first two sound better.

IEMs sound fine, and block sound like nothing else.

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say DT250 or k271, depending on how much bass you like. If the bulk really bothers you, HD25, but either of the first two sound better.

IEMs sound fine, and block sound like nothing else.

The DT250s look very interesting. Not bulky at all for what I am looking for. I dont need to be walking around with these. How is the isolation and sound leakage with these? Also, how are they for rock and compare to grado type headphones? Lastly, how do they compare to others in the DT series since Amazon has a huge sale going on for others in the series.

What is going to sound good for rock (like grados), that are closed and compact like grados

Users who are viewing this thread

Back