portable, closed, cheap, COMFY, decent SQ, limited choices eh?
Sep 1, 2009 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

aragornmustdie

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know why, seems like this particular specifications are the hardest to nail on.

ATH-ESW9 fulfilled everything but being cheap (I'm going to recommend this to my friend who is a casual listener, something below US$70 I guess)

ATH-ES7 is cheaper but still out of budget and not that comfy.

ATH-FC700... they simply don't sound good
frown.gif

PX100, SR60, all open.

Portapro is semi open as well as having a very troublesome headband especially for a lady.

iGrado, open.

K81DJ is not comfy and IIRC the price is higher here.

C-Jays is very expensive here.

Denon P372 is the closest one, but it's not comfy and is made of cheap plastic.

any ideas?

of course I might end up sacrificing one of the needs, like maybe I'll recommend the PX100 since the openness isn't really that offensive. But I'm just curious as to whether there exists a headphone that fulfill ALL the requirements!

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why, seems like this particular specifications are the hardest to nail on.

ATH-ESW9 fulfilled everything but being cheap (I'm going to recommend this to my friend who is a casual listener, something below US$70 I guess)

ATH-ES7 is cheaper but still out of budget and not that comfy.

ATH-FC700... they simply don't sound good
frown.gif

PX100, SR60, all open.

Portapro is semi open as well as having a very troublesome headband especially for a lady.

iGrado, open.

K81DJ is not comfy and IIRC the price is higher here.

C-Jays is very expensive here.

Denon P372 is the closest one, but it's not comfy and is made of cheap plastic.

any ideas?

of course I might end up sacrificing one of the needs, like maybe I'll recommend the PX100 since the openness isn't really that offensive. But I'm just curious as to whether there exists a headphone that fulfill ALL the requirements!

If you had suggested the HD228 to me as a headphone that meets all your requirements, I probably would have laughed a month ago. That was before I actually bought a pair. For the money, I consider them a good option, and they are among the most comfortable cans I own.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you had suggested the HD228 to me as a headphone that meets all your requirements, I probably would have laughed a month ago. That was before I actually bought a pair. For the money, I consider them a good option, and they are among the most comfortable cans I own.

x2, although I don't suppose that they're cheap exactly, compared with the other headphones mentioned.

OP, I disagree that the ATH-FC700A don't sound good. I think they sound terrific. But they are not comfy.

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 19
ah, totally forgot the HD228. Good suggestion, I'll go down and listen to a pair. Might as well give more time for FC700. Thanks guys!

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 19
fyi, the es7 is $55 at buydig.com (refurbished, but generally like-new), so it is not out of your price range. they're also very comfortable with a simple DIY headband mod (search for the thread here at head-fi)

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

tried the senn 228. omg. awful, muddy, all-midbass sound.

Then something has to give - either your budget has to come up to the ES7s, or your expectations have to come down to the cans you can afford. Personally, I dont have a problem with using the HD228s at work, but thats different to a critical listening session with my Marantz/CA rig at home. Sadly, my other cans cost significantly more than the two budget Senns in my collection - we get what we pay for.

At this stage, I doubt that HeadRoom's glowing review will change your opinion of the 228s, but they arent the only people to see these phones as good VFM:

Sennheiser HD 228 @ HeadRoom

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

tried the senn 228. omg. awful, muddy, all-midbass sound.

Forgot to mention that I thought they sounded like that at first too. Two things: First, they need to be placed farther back on the ears than seems natural at first. This eliminates the muffled quality. It is not unnatural to wear them this way, just not intuitive to place them this way, if you get my meaning. Second, pop off the pads and simply take out the center foam (manufactured to be easily removable -- it's like Senn built this in as an option). This makes them way brighter, although not too bright (the "astroid mod"). If you want independent verification on all these points, check out the threads on HD 228. In one of them, I make the same exact point that you make above, and then somewhat shamefacedly retract the statement after discovering that placement means everything with these headphones. Then I followed astroid's advice and took out the center foams, which perfected them. They are great headphones in my opinion. If they qualify as "cheap" in your criteria, then they are the only portable headphones I have heard which meet all your criteria. While they do not sound like $300 headphones, they do meet all the important requirements that you and many others are looking for in a portable headphone, which is no doubt why HeadRoom calls them one of their Top Ten headphones.

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 19
My main can is ATH ES7 btw, this is for my friend. I tried different placements but they still retain their bloatiness- maybe the astroid mod may solve it. Without the mod though, no matter how I place them, I'd still rank them below PX100 (which I really dislike) and Portapro SQ-wise. They have clear mids, at least.
Aside from that, the 228 is really good- nice built and design except for the shiny silver ring, comfy pads and headbands. Nice.
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Buydig.com does CONUS only, btw
frown.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #13 of 19
I was looking for good portable closed phones for some time as well. After trying many, I eventually settled on Sony MDR-7506 and put some Beyer DT250 pads on them. I mainly use them when traveling on planes, trains, and buses and they are ideal for that purpose. Good isolation, comfort (with the replacement pads), looks, build quality, and sound quality. They also fold up and fit in the included leather travel bag. The cable is also coiled which can be convenient for travel. Worth a look. Note that with the stock pads, these phones are supraaural for me, but circumaural with the Beyer pads.

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 19
ES7 a bit out of budget even for $90 I guess. My friend's a casual listener, budget is not that flexible. Denon D1001 here is around 120 US$ as well.

The modded sony 7506 sounds good. I'll try asking the local dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back