Portable Circumaurals
Jan 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

UCLA 15

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some new headphones to complement my KRK KNS 8400s, which are my first nice headphones. The 8400s work well for listening in my dorm room (and I love their sound), but I simply cannot use them for portable use because of the "flying buttress" look that is hideous. So I'm looking for closed circumaurals that are as portable as possible. First, no need for IEM/supra-aural suggestions. They will basically be used for listening to music while walking to class and around campus.

I know everyone defines portable differently, so here's what I'm looking for:
1) Straight, short (1.5m or less) cable (can fudge on this if they are detachable and I can replace them)
2) No flying buttress look. As form-fitting to the head as possible (basically, passable for wearing in public)
3) Driven by HTC Sensation and laptop
4) Light (for me, my KRKs at 230g are good, so 230g and under)
5) As a reminder, closed and circumaural are a must
6) Comfortable (no hardcore clamping, although my head is a little small)
7) Budget: $120
Soundwise, I like my KRKs a lot. They don't really emphasize anything and are overall just very clear and detailed. Also, sound quality is probably my lowest concern: I have my KRKs back in the room for when I really want to enjoy music. That said, I'd like to keep at least above uninformed-consumer grade sound quality like Beats stuff. My greatest priorities are portability, comfort, and looks.

As far as what I've looked at:
Denon D1100: flying buttress look, so no-go
Fischer FA-004: still a possibility, but I've read that they are uncomfortable, especially for smaller heads, since they have no horizontal tilting adjustment
Phiaton MS 400: these are THE model of what I'm looking for design-wise: narrow headband, overall small footprint (headprint?), light. Too expensive, ruled out.
ATH ESW9: another one that is THE design model I'm looking for: narrow headband just like the Phiatons, light, small profile. Too expensive and supra-aural, however, so ruled out. If I had to sum up what I want in one statement, it would be "circumaural ESW9s".
DJ100: cable too long and coiled (and not detachable), really should have an amp
Crossfade LP: too big and bulky

The FA-004 are the only ones I haven't ruled out of of those above, but I'd really like to hear if there is anything I'm missing because they seem like a less than ideal compromise. Thanks, I know the headphone game is frustrating but that's part of the fun!

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm using Sennheiser HD380's as my on-the-go set. They fold up pretty small in a carrying case that comes with them. Oh, and they sound good : ) Got them for $165 where they retail for @200 so try to catch them on sale... You can test them out at Guitar Center. That's what I did. Then they matched the sale price on Amazon and I was good to go.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried the 380s at the time I bought my 8400s and didn't like the Senns (too uncomfortable). I'm looking for something smaller and more portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back