Portable choice decision,,,help me!
May 24, 2004 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

starfarer

New Head-Fier
Hi, After breakdown(broken) of my Sony EP888 headphone i'm looking for new protable headphone for my iriver 350. Currently looking@ Grado SR60($600),Senn PX200($518),Senn PX100($400) [All prices in HongKong Dollars,excahnge rate US$1=HK$7.79]. Before Sony EP888 i was using Senn MX500 and between two i liked EP888. But both earbuds were too large for my ear and long usage usually hurt and both broken before 1 year of usage. I was originally thinking of Koss KSC35 but dealer don't have here but they have SportaPro($328) and PortaPro($530). On top of the wish list is Grado SR60 but after MX500 and EP888 i really need comfortable phone. Preferences are:
1) sound(no need for "wide" soundstage)
2) comfortable
3) i don't need closed
4) portable means doesn't look like an alien on public buses and on walk. Not like this
280smile.gif
or
600smile.gif

5) i only runs when catching buses and doesn't wear during jogging and don't need one for gym
6) lot usage with computer soundcard (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz)
7) Better than sony EP888 (that was really very very good)
8) Got medium head
9) Considering the differences i'm still preffering SR60 but maybe the phones are too big for my head and uncomfortable?
10) Don't need for home usage and movies. I got another AKG phone and AMP and 5.1 setup.
11) Is it worth if i buy SR60- soundwise? Can i feel "wow"?
12) Musics - rock/pop/hiphop/alt/country but never any classic
13) Cords - i like short ones
14) I always carry a big bag with jogging clothes.
Thanks.

May 24, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 16
You've almost gave me a heart-attack while reading those prices (thank God you mentioned it that they are in HKD). I would say Grado SR-60. Although comfort might be an issue (varies by person to person), it should provide an improvement. As long as your expectation is not sky high, you will be wowed!

May 24, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 16
if you dont need isolation, the portapro would be the best in the bunch. good osund, portability and comfort. sr60 is very un-portable and clumsy to bring around.
i thought hongkong would be noisy. i would have gone with the px200.

May 25, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 16
LOL i too thought somebody will be wowed by the price since i forgot to put HK$ infront the dollar sign. I too was looking at PortaPro but since the price difference(pls check the prices) to SR60 is so small and PortaPro being strange looking phone at least in photos i can live with better sounded clumsy and little bit uncomfortable SR60. The question is How Uncomfortable? Is it worth - the biggest question? Other in price range is SEnn HD437,HD457,HD477,HD202. My initial was KOSS KSC35 but buying through post will cost me very near to SR60 price. All comparisions are to the SR60 cause i can most afford that and reading others review on this forum least i expect to get sound quality. My expectations are not very very high but have to be impressed at least. Thanks quys for replying.

May 25, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by starfarer
Currently looking@ Grado SR60($600),Senn PX200($518),Senn PX100($400) [All prices in HongKong Dollars,excahnge rate US$1=HK$7.79]. SportaPro($328) and PortaPro($530). On top of the wish list is Grado SR60
Preferences are:
1) sound(no need for "wide" soundstage) SR60
2) comfortable PX100
3) i don't need closed SR60
4) portable means doesn't look like an alien on public PX100
5) i only run when catching buses and doesn't wear during jogging and don't need one for gym SR60 should be fine
6) lot usage with computer soundcard (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz) SR60
7) Better than sony EP888 (that was really very very good) SR60
8) Got medium head PX100 in public
9) Considering the differences i'm still preffering SR60 but maybe the phones are too big for my head and uncomfortable?
If you bend the headband a bit they'll probaly be fine. For a medium head they look like normal size headphones, not a portable sized ones. On my head they actually look better than the PX100. My head is small-medium
10) Don't need for home usage and movies. I got another AKG phone and AMP and 5.1 setup.
11) Is it worth if i buy SR60- soundwise? Can i feel "wow"? yes
12) Musics - rock/pop/hiphop/alt/country but never any classic
13) Cords - i like short ones PX100 (the SR60 has a 2 meter cord that is very thick and not very handy portable)
14) I always carry a big bag with jogging clothes. you can fit the cord in that.

I choose the PX100 over the koss phones becuase I personally think they look dorky. And then you might as well go for the SR60. Which in my opinion looks better than the koss except the ksc35. But I never heard those so I don't know if they're better than the PX100 or as good as the SR60.

Thanks. you're welcome
wink.gif

May 26, 2004 at 6:58 AM Post #10 of 16
Yes, go for the SR60s. I use to own a pair about 7 years ago. From memory, its better than many budget phones.

Jun 27, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 16
damn how can i search this forum? Got Grado SR60 with i think comfy pad. The sound is lot "muffle" and was looking for mod. The treble are somewhat "subdued" and there is definitely clear treble without the earpad.This is a bassy can and i wonder the people who listen with more bass than these.The volume is also low, Before i used to listen on volume of 24 level with Sony E888 but with Grado its around 35. Comfortablewise i didn't have to bend the headband and i'm feeling very comfortable maybe cause of comfy pad. I don't know what's others complaint regarding the comfortable nature of SR60. The biggest surprise for me is the overall size. I was thinking it to be same as some home stereo headphones but they were at least smaller than what i imagined and i think i don't look like an alien with these on buses
icon10.gif
In short they are very PORTABLES in size .The cables are long and thick and a open can which leak much but that was accepted by me before buying. I even like the look and this is a unique one
k1000smile.gif
.Thanks guys for helping to buy.

Jun 27, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #12 of 16
it look like all requirements point toward the potrapro. the sr60 is too bulky and loose for running, and not very portable either.

sorry but the search function has been down for a while, it is quite unconvenience.

Jun 27, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 16
Someone asked me about pad mods in a PM but never opened it.
confused.gif

Might as well copy/paste part of the PM here:
Quote:

Different pads make more difference than you might think. So looking into it is defenitely worth while.

Most think the best pads are the 'flat pads'. They can be bought at just one place, Todd The Vinyl Junkie, (see sponser link below, Todd) but are also quite pricy. I think $30 or $40. So that's a bit much for a the SR-60 IMO.

The 'flat pads' are flat with a hole in the middle. The bowls have a hole too. The comfies don't and this is where the problem is.

It happens that Sennheiser makes pads that fit the Grado headphones. You can get them at any sennheiser dealer. (The store might need to order them if they don't have it in stock. Just ask them if they'll order them for you.) They cost about €5 or €6.
I think you can get them online if you live in the US. From the sennheiser site.
These are the yellow pads for the sennheiser HD414 headphones.
pads # H-19545.

The foam from the comfy pads muffle the sound quit a lot! They're comfortable but that's where it ends. The senn pads are a bit more comfortable and you can use them to modify so your comfies stay intact.
What you do is take a large coin about 3 cm (a bit bigger than an inch I believe) in diameter and a sharp knife with a sharp point. Put the pads with the side that is supposed to face your ear on a hard surface. That surface is going to have marks from cutting the holes so make sure it's an old shelf or piece of wood or anything.
Put the coin in the middle of the pad. Press hard on the coin. Then cut around it as precisely as possible with the point of the knife facing a bit towards the coin. Like you want to cut under the coin but you can't because you have the coin pressed hard on the foam of the pads. Cut firmly.

Then you'll end up with two yellow pads with holes in the middle. You can use them as they are if you like or you could dye them if you don't like yellow. You can dye them with dye you dye clothes with. A tiny can of dye is just a couple of euros/dollars. Take into account that if you want to dye them in any other color than black that you are mixing with yellow. I dyed mine purple and they turned out very dark purle with a hint of brown.

When you compare the comfies with the modded senns you'll hear straight away that you get far more clearity and detail with the senns. Apparently the modded senns sound very close to the 'flat pads' but are more comfortable because the foam is much softer. Even softer than the comfy pads.
You can also cut a hole in the comfy pads to save money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back