portable cd player with cassette adapter for car questions..
Dec 12, 2002 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TNT440

New Head-Fier
well, i have a nice sounding system in my car, but it has the cassette deck, and cassettes are getting too hard to buy anywhere, so i bought a phillips portable cd player with the car cassette adapter, well, the sound quality isnt too hot, not even as good as the cassettes! so someone told me to get an FM adapter and use the cd player through that instead of the cassette adapter, anyone know what an FM adapter is and where i can find one?
thanks

Dec 12, 2002 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 4
TNT440,

I had one of those FM adapters for PCDPs. My advice: Stay away from those FM adapters; they're unreliable pieces of crap. Those adapters don't hold their FM-frequency tuning well (their tuning mechanisms are analog anyway - and extremely easy to drift analog, at that), and they break very easily.

Dec 12, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 4
that stinks!, well, any other ideas on how to make it sound better going through the cassette adapter? The thing sounds pretty good through headphones, but through this cassette adapter, its not really crisp, but it does have that 45 second skip protection, i heard that messes with the sound, i wish i could still buy cassettes, because they sound awesome in my car.

Dec 13, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 4
UPDATE: just to see if its the portable cd player that doesnt sound good, OR the cassette adapter, i did a test, i hauled my very good sounding home stereo out to my car, i put a cd in it, and hooked up the cassette adapter to it through the headphone jack, and guess what, awesome sound! so it the portable cd player thats not sounding too good, although it does sound decent through headphones..? it should do better than that, i only paid 10 bucks for it from a friend, but the thing costs 50 new, with only headphones, so i figured it would sound better,and the only affordable ones ive seen that DO have a separate line out jack is made by GPX, wich is a cheaper brand and probably wouldnt sound good because of the brand, but i dont know..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back