Portable CD Player w/ Digital output
Apr 2, 2006 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

officerdoofy

New Head-Fier
I've been trying to look for one online, but I'm not really having any luck. I was considering using it for a portable rig so that I could use a nicer DAC. If anyone knows some models I'd love to hear about them. Thanks.

Apr 2, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 22
I have a Sony D321 that has an optical out. You can find them on Ebay sometimes anywhere from $35 - $100 depending on luck! I know there are some other older Sony's w/optical outs but not sure which models. I use mine w/the MicroDac & it does a pretty good job as a portable rig. The MicroDac is so versital that it makes a nice match with different portable sources. I use it with the Sony pcdp, my Iriver H120 & my laptop -- makes for nice choices.

Apr 3, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 22
The iRiver imp-550 is a more recent (yet discontinued) model that has an optical out. A few of the older Sonys also have digital outs, and the elusive Optimus CD3400 and Denon DCP-150 also have them.

Apr 3, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 22
Get something like a D-NE900 as the transport is robust and suited towards portable use, and it has what seems to be a pretty decent optical out, especially for a portable.

Apr 3, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
The iRiver imp-550 is a more recent (yet discontinued) model that has an optical out. A few of the older Sonys also have digital outs, and the elusive Optimus CD3400 and Denon DCP-150 also have them.

How do you get the optical-out working?

Apr 3, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by adam917
How do you get the optical-out working?

Which model? The rest are pretty much locate the optical-out and plug in the appropriate cable, but I believe that the iRiver has a combo line-out and optical-out that somehow detects which signal to send out. I'm no techno-whiz, so I can't explain how it works. Similar technology can be found on some Mac desktops.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Which model? The rest are pretty much locate the optical-out and plug in the appropriate cable, but I believe that the iRiver has a combo line-out and optical-out that somehow detects which signal to send out. I'm no techno-whiz, so I can't explain how it works. Similar technology can be found on some Mac desktops.

iRiver iMP-550. It has a combo line/optical-out. No options regarding the digital or line-out are mentioned in the manual or the device's menus.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 22
take a look for sony D-465.
it has optical output and also decent line out.
it can be found cheap in ebay, sometimes below 10usd.
you can read more details in the duncan's review.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 22
Among recent production models: Sony D-NE900, D-NE920, D-NE10, D-NE20. They have both line-out and optical.

All should be easily available from retailers like Amazon.

Apr 3, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

iRiver iMP-550. It has a combo line/optical-out. No options regarding the digital or line-out are mentioned in the manual or the device's menus.

The combo line/optical-out detects which connection is needed and should switch automatically. This is basically according to Head-Fi, since I found the manual to be quite unhelpful.

[edit]
I can't find the post that mentioned the detection, but here's a pretty extensive thread talking about using the optical out. Someone there might know more.

Apr 3, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

The combo line/optical-out detects which connection is needed and should switch automatically. This is basically according to Head-Fi, since I found the manual to be quite unhelpful.

[edit]
I can't find the post that mentioned the detection, but here's a pretty extensive thread talking about using the optical out. Someone there might know more.

OK, because I know the Sony units I used before (D-303, D-EJ01) require a mains (AC) connection and no or minimum anti-skip settings before the optical out will output its signal.

Apr 3, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

OK, because I know the Sony units I used before (D-303, D-EJ01) require a mains (AC) connection and no or minimum anti-skip settings before the optical out will output its signal.

Definitely not the case with recent Sony PCDPs.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Definitely not the case with recent Sony PCDPs.

OK. So on them recent/new units, what must be done to get the optical out running?

Apr 3, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 22
Connect optical cable
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back