Portable CD player Recommendations?
Jul 30, 2001 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

MusicBum

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new portable CD player and was wondering which ones are good. Any recommendations would be really helpful.

Thanx

PS......I am not worrying about price just as long as it doesn't go over $200.

Jul 30, 2001 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 29
Despite the recent negative reviews, I would still say to go with the Panasonic CT470. It sounds pretty good, has a nice big display screen, and is good for the money. But, then again, those are my two cents.

Jul 30, 2001 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 29
Oh yeah, Bum. We also discussed in another similar thread that the Panasonic has this uncanny ability to play right through "skippy" (damaged) CDs that other players seem to have problems with. I haven't picked up a Panasonic CDP yet (personal protest of Panasonic products for previous history of bad ju-ju with their stuff)... I did cross the line the other day with a new Panasonic EB-TX220AS cell phone. Not sure if I may stick with it.

Horrible cell reception where my Nokia had NO problems picking up a signal. Great features though.. extremely rugged, and it has a speaker phone! But I digress..

Let us know what you go with for your portable CDP.

$200?!? Damn girl -- you should have NO problems. I think that your question should be geared towards HIGHER END portable CDPs at that price range. You'll have some money left over to buy me one too.
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2001 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 29
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere so I'm going to ask anyways.....um.......How much is this Panasonic?...and is it basically accepted that this is the best I can get with my money?.....thanks

Jul 31, 2001 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 29
I think it's one of the best around. I would recommend you mine if they still made it. It's a really old shockwave version

Aug 1, 2001 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 29
$60 at Onecall.com

I think I might get one myself for that price, I had no idea they were that cheap these days. Why are the Sonys soooo much more expensive than the panasonics, when the Panasonics seem to be regarded as sounding better.

Aug 1, 2001 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 29
btw Grrr just so you know the SL-CT470 isn't near as durable as the older Sony's like the one you have. I don't think they'll hold up as long.

I only use the Panasonic when I need it for really rough use that will make the Sony skip or playing really really scratched cd's that the Panasonic handles better.

Aug 3, 2001 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 29
hmmm...i was looking around.....and what about the other Panasonics.......would the other panasonics with a higher number than CT470 be better?....I don't know much about this but it cost more so i just figured it was better...no?...lol...anyways....and explanation would be really helpful...thanx

Aug 3, 2001 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 29
Well the 570 that I just bought today is pretty much the same as the 470 except for some extra features...

The 570 is the nicest PCDP I've heard so far, BTW.

Aug 3, 2001 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 29
Here's an idea for a portable source for <$200:

Panasonic 470 CDP ($60)

Cal Gamma DAC ($100)

Can it get better than that?

Aug 3, 2001 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
Well the 570 that I just bought today is pretty much the same as the 470 except for some extra features...
[/B]

Oh, I've ordered one too.
Where did you get yours, fiddler?

Bye

Redwoood

Aug 3, 2001 at 2:34 PM Post #15 of 29
chych: Would that setup sound a lot better than say just buyign a $200 discman?

And where can I find info on that DAC?

Thanks, geez, this hobby gets expensive quickly. Not that $60 for a discman is really expensive, it's just that in the past month I've bought a pair of HD600s, SR-60s, an OBH-11, and interconnects, it just all starts to really add up after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back