Portable Bass: Better than Pico... feasible?
Feb 8, 2008 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Assorted

Headphoneus Supremus
I have my Pico with my ED9s, and while they are great, I feel that I could get an un-constricting, and tighter bass. Is it possible to achieve this while staying purely portable?

Any advice is appreciated. I was thinking the Lisa III... but that would be a last resort, since it's huge and well frankly, very expensive.

Feb 8, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 13
I actually tried that! The only problem was that even on high-gain, I had to go more than 3/4 on the dial. I guess I should look for a louder source (I was using my HD30GB9 btw). It also seemed to put a lot of torque on the amp itself; I'd really hate it to ruin my amp
frown.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 13
There is nothing wrong with using the volume pot at 3/4. I prefer to use one there as you have more of the resistive material out of the way, which is better for the sound. How are you going to ruin the amp?

Feb 8, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was referring to the physical torque the impedance adaptor puts on the amp.

Ok, then I don't understand. I use a 8 inch long flexible adapter for my larger headphones that could have this and it wouldn't put any strain on the jacks. I assume it is the jacks you are referring to?

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my Pico with my ED9s, and while they are great, I feel that I could get an un-constricting, and tighter bass. Is it possible to achieve this while staying purely portable?

Any advice is appreciated. I was thinking the Lisa III... but that would be a last resort, since it's huge and well frankly, very expensive.

Gah!!!

Where was this post before I bought my pico?

I haven't read anywhere else that the Pico has an issue controlling bass. Might just be an issue in combination with the E9's ???

Well, I'll find out tomorrow after my Pico arrives.

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 13
There's no "issue" controlling bass, not at all. I must emphasize that the bass is nowhere near dissatisfaction, but it would be pushing it, to say it's the best bass I've ever heard. I was just wondering if another portable/transportable amp would give a comparatively, increased quality of bass, if there could be such a thing.

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #9 of 13
Does the Kenwood have a dedicated line-out or are you using it's headphone out to the Pico?

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #10 of 13
What do you mean by "better bass"? Do you mean more quantity, or better control?

Feb 9, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #12 of 13
Quality can be a bunch of different things. I want to know where the Pico is supposed to fall short.

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 13
How about going balanced lol. One Pico per channel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back