portable and/or DAC under $300 to add to dedicated amp and cans
Feb 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

markm1

Headphoneus Supremus
I've got the first pieces of my rig: Grado cans, Schiit Asgard and I'm replacing a dedicated CD player for a 20 + year old pioneer DC-z83 (one piece box amplifier, tuner, two cassettes with CD player that will be new).

I'm pretty exited with my little set up. But, I need some next steps.

What I don't have is a portable amp-I listen to my Ipod a lot while moving around the house or a DAC.

I'm torn between getting a portable or portable/DAC such as the Fiio E17 or Hippo Crirci +, etc. or a dedicated DAC-maybe something from Schiit to go w/ my Asgard.

I want to make one purchase at at time to adjust and learn the equipment and feel what makes sense for the next move. I'm willing to slowly expand my system-Rome was't build in a day. And, I would like to keep each purchase within the $150-250 range, but I can be flexible within reasonable limits-not over $300 in one shot. I say that, because ultimately I'm interested in adding the HE4 or 500 to my repertoire.

Just not sure if I want to go w/ the whole portable amp/DAC thing, or just get a portable amp on its own and separate dedicated DAC as two separate purchases.

I've got a good set of cans and dedicated as amp  stated.

Help!

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 6
A portable DAC won't do the iPod any good. It has analog line out capability, not digital out. So a headphone amp will help, but not a DAC.

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Just get a Fiio E11 or E12 for use with your iPod.
also get a LOD cable (Fiio l cable) to connect the iPod to the portable amp.

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Just get a Fiio E11 or E12 for use with your iPod.
also get a LOD cable (Fiio l cable) to connect the iPod to the portable amp.

IYO, is the E11 or E12 superior to the 17 in terms of sound quality? I guess I'm really trying to decide if I'd rather have a portable amp or a DAC for my computer. I was thinking the E17 might cover all of those bases. But, the bottom line is the best sound.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
IYO, is the E11 or E12 superior to the 17 in terms of sound quality? I guess I'm really trying to decide if I'd rather have a portable amp or a DAC for my computer. I was thinking the E17 might cover all of those bases. But, the bottom line is the best sound.

Currently the Fiio E12 is the most powerful portable headphone amplifier,
the second most is Fiio E11,
I think the E17 is third most.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Currently the Fiio E12 is the most powerful portable headphone amplifier,
the second most is Fiio E11,
I think the E17 is third most.

Thanks. Now, if you wanted a portable amp for an Ipod and an iphone or android, would you end up w/ two different devices or something you could use for both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back