portable amps
Jul 8, 2003 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

meestafish

New Head-Fier
hello all,
i'm curious about this whole portable ampedge thing i keep reading about. see, i'm a huge quality sound virgin and i know.. well basically jack ****. i've been looking into buying higher quality audio (audi... audo... adia... kadio... kate? you ever have those nights where nothing you write(wright? writ?) looks as though it is spelled right? even though your almost certain it is, but somehow it just looks wrong, anyway back on subject *"god man, take your adderal!"*) accesories (i'm not even ginna try with that one) and i ran into this nifty little site and decided to do a little investigating (?, honestly how else could it be spelled so that it would look right?) and found that triports are evil
very_evil_smiley.gif
(thank you for that heads-up by the way) and that there is such a thing as a portable amp and even that it may even be possible for me to make my own, maybe. so really i guess my question is after all the rambling what are your suggestions (why me, god, why?) for good, high quality, portable ampedge and/or is it possible to build my own and how would i go about aquireing(maaaaybe thats right) info on that terrific(?) process thank you for all of your time and good night.
~mista meestafish

Jul 8, 2003 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 8
You should maybe cut the mumble to litle less, and theres bold to clarify the question, colours are anoying..

And to your Question:
What source you have and what headphones?

Amps theres lot of comercial amps, lot of DIY amps like meta42, and then theres people who assemble you a DIY amp for money.

Read the forum and you will probaly get answer to your questions

Jul 8, 2003 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 8
There are several commercial amps like Headroom's airhead, cosmic, Meier Audio's Porta Corda and Headamp.com's Gilmore Lite. DIY options include CMOY, META and Fixup's Supermini.

Here are some good links
Tangent's DIY META Page

A couple of DIYers pages.
Headsave
Fiddler's

Hope this helps!

Jul 8, 2003 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 8
thanx jaskin those links look like what i need

as far as my current **** rig i have:

-sony D-EJ756CK
-koss "the plug" (cheapy $14 earbuds)

of course whenever i actually have money to spend all that will hopefully change

~meestafish

Jul 8, 2003 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Just remember, you really don't need an amp with your rig until you get higher quality headphones. The plug doesn't need an amp and using an amp with them will not increase sound quality by all that much. I recommend upgrading your headphones and/or source before worrying about an amp.

Hiker

Jul 8, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 8
i understand that an amp is definately not needed with my headphones but if im going to buy good headphones i dont want to be limited by wether or not i have an amp. my plan is to get an idea of what i want and then once i have money i can go ahead and purchase the things that i want.

~meesta fish

Jul 13, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 8
Welcome meestafish to the world of more info than you will ever be able to review,and the beginning of a new adventure. The hardest part of your journey will begin with learning how to use the site to find the answers you need,or think you need. Feel free to ask questions on something you find interesting,but first you may want to try the "search" tab at the top of just about any page. Plan on spending some time reading thru the results. Good luck,tread lightly,and practice memory retention. All 3 will come in handy.
smily_headphones1.gif
:O
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2003 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 8
definately get the headphones first, you'll notice an improvement straight away, whereas an amp will be no benefit until you get new 'phones... kinda of a which came first, the chicken or the egg??

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back