Portable Amps vs my home stereo receiver
Jan 7, 2009 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CompressionalFlagellation

100+ Head-Fier
I have been auditioning SE530's and UE Triple fi 10 pro's though a Yamaha RX-V659 receiver (a ps3 being the source) for the last few days, but was wondering if a dedicated headphone amp -- Headroom's Total Airhead/Bithead in particular -- would process the sound better?

Any thoughts?

How about other portable amps (under $350) vs said unit?

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Probably not. You might notice some slight differences in the sound, but it won't be earth-shattering unless your receiver is really, really bad.

I've found that most integrated amps and A/V receivers that have headphone jacks actually sound quite okay. Not to the level of a dedicated, mains-powered headphone amp, but usually nicer than out the back of a sound card or a portable player.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 5
Well, with a good full size can such as a HD6XX, the difference between a receiver output and a real good home head amp (1200 dollars and more) is huge.

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolida302 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, with a good full size can such as a HD6XX, the difference between a receiver output and a real good home head amp (1200 dollars and more) is huge.

Now that's what I call Flagellation of the wallet.

"ooo, hurt me you bad boy you..." ~my wallet

Oh well...so much for my pursuit of audiophile sound....[frowns, lowers head, mopes down dusty trail kicking a rusty can]

Even though I knew better, I was still hoping there was a small chance someone would say, "the Headroom Airhead is a thousand times better than your $500 dollar home stereo receiver."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back