Portable amps in the UK
Feb 11, 2008 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Exapno

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading my portable rig and have a few questions. What portable amps are available in the UK and how do they perform? Also, if I'm only using IEMs, would a portable amp really make a difference? Thanks.

Feb 11, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 15
I recently picked up my first portable headphone amp ; a Graham Slee Voyager. It's a relatively new product, Made in the UK - £180. I love it - fantastic, warm, articulate sounds, and a vastly improved soundstage. Not seen a bad review yet!

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 15
Feb 11, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 15
Definitely the voyager, if importing try iqube (netherlands) or pico america, from what ive read on here the only other amp in that league is the lisa3 and by all accounts it surpasses tha league.

I have the iqube and a waiting for the pico so havent heard tat one, but the voyager imo is a better amp than the iqube in terms of sq. I cant use technical language to explain the differences but to "my ears" the voyager ust sounds better, plus the contour switch really bangs the bass out without distorion, it is quite an adept little amp and actually, at a good price.

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 15
I've looked at the Voyager (I already own a GramAmp 2, Graham's stuff is excellent) but the price and size put me off a little. Can't find the little dot on eBay...

The Corda looks good too but again, the price is a little steep. Would the improvement in sound quality really justify the price? I guess that leaves me in Penguin Amp / cMoy territory.

BTW, my current rig is a Sony HD5H (mostly playing Atrac3plus 192 or 256), Sennheiser MX500s and Grado SR60s. I also have some Mylarone X3i's on the way. I'm debating getting either a Sony NWZA818 8GB or an iPod 5.5 gen (if I can find one) although I'm open to suggestions on a new player (as long as it does gapless).

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 15
Go for the headphones first, senseless to buy €100+ amps for entry level headphones.
And in my experience amping IEMs doesn't make much of a difference, if you are on a tight budget you should just run them out of the headphone jack.
Your wallet will thank you for it.

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 15
Another vote for the Voyager. The price tag might be off-putting considering you want a starter amp, but its my first and I haven't felt it was a waste of money so far.

Its also smaller and much lighter than it looks, I was really surprised.

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #11 of 15
in fact i'm now considering selling both my MT CHA47 "Peppermint Altoids" and Evilfire cmoy "Sindy" amps, I'll sort out the specs of what's inside each and post again later. £20 each including postage. i dont really use them anymore. both are in mint condition (pls excuse pun). can post pics later.

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #15 of 15
My Son has the headsix, I have listened to it extensively with all our cans and I can say that it is wonderful. By buying in the EU, you will also avoid HMRC duty, which can be punitive on items bought from the USA.

The small print in my sig refers to the kit that both my Son's have and they still live with me.

When Mr Meier makes a headsix with crossfeed, I will be breaking into my piggie bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back