Portable Amps and LODs
Mar 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

raymond8246

New Head-Fier
I'm sorry for asking this question, but I am a complete newbie. I was wondering if LODs are completely necessary for portable headphone amplifiers for a clean sound. Or is it possible to just use a double male 3.5mm jack into a portable amp without compromising sound quality?

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 6
if you use just a 3.5 to 3.5 you are dual amping, which is never good. Using a line out signal via LOD is much better as it is a cleaner signal, meaning you amplify a clean signal rather than a noisy/lower quality signal from the headphone out.

Regards

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 6
Well, I do know that not using a LOD is definitely not a good thing, but is it recommended to do if the LOD never existed for the music player? For example, the Zune HD has a slot for a 22-pin LOD but the LOD doesn't actually exist because it was never put into production.

Quote:
if you use just a 3.5 to 3.5 you are dual amping, which is never good. Using a line out signal via LOD is much better as it is a cleaner signal, meaning you amplify a clean signal rather than a noisy/lower quality signal from the headphone out.
Regards

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 6
if you can get a LOD for it then yes it would be better. The Line Out bypasses the internal headphone amp (which tends to be pretty bad quality) so you can use a better external amp. If you amp the headphone out you are amping the distortion and noise too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back