Portable Amps and LOD?
Oct 19, 2011 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hydrocharged

100+ Head-Fier
Hello! My question is regarding an amp such as the Fiio E5. I am purchasing a new phone, the SGS II, but the reports on audio quality all point to it being terrible with headphones plugged in. I was wondering if using an amp would increase the audio quality, as the phone only seems to suffer when headphones are plugged in.
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9100_galaxy_s_ii-review-597p8.php
As you can see from this review, audio quality using a line out isn't bad, yet with headphones plugged in, the quality rolls downhill. Would an amp such as the Fiio E5 let me experience that line out amount of detail and clarity? Thanks!

Btw, I only have about $25 to spend on an amp, and it must be ultra-portable too. I am getting the phone for free.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 8
Well with only $25, you can only get the E5. But if your phone SQ is not good thru the headphone jack, adding an amp will probably just amplify the bad sound -- it won't change the sound much.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 8
Amping a phone is not really a good idea as the hp out is already amped as stated. Amping a bad sounding phone will not make it sound better, just a lot worse. I would skip the amp for your phone

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 8
What about that line out graph though? According to that, the sound is actually quite good. The phone only seems to sound bad when headphones are attached. Wouldn't an amp amplify the good line out sound and not the bad headphones sound? From my understanding, the resistance od the headphones is what changes thw quality so much, wouldn't an amp overcome this?

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 8
you need to truly bypass the onboard amp to get a good sound.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 8
So a line out wouldn't be the "bypassing" that is shown in the link I mentioned in the original OP? According to that, line out sounds absolutely fine, but headphones plugged directly in sounds like garbage.

Here is the link again: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9100_galaxy_s_ii-review-597p8.php

The phone is the Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 8
Is that one of those phones that uses a mini-USB to headphone adapter?

Be that as it may, the article seems to indicate that as soon as there is some resistance to the output, sound issues develope. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 8
Nope, audio only goes through the headphone jack. Although, there is a dock that the phone can connect to that does have a line out, but the dock takes USB audio from the phone through special means, and it would not be a portable solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back