Portable Amps and Airports
Jun 27, 2005 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kully

New Head-Fier
Anyone get any funny stares / police beatings taking / using their portable amps on-board a plane?

In this age, I'm slightly paranoid about taking a mint tin full of electronics in hand-baggage. Let alone taking it out on the plane!

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kully
Anyone get any funny stares / police beatings taking / using their portable amps on-board a plane?

In this age, I'm slightly paranoid about taking a mint tin full of electronics in hand-baggage. Let alone taking it out on the plane!

In the past, people have had their portable cmoys and other amps confiscated. I don't know if the airport security is that tight regarding portable headphone amps, but having a professionally-looking product certainly will help.

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 8
Didn't want to hear that...

I've a CMOY in a mint tin and a PA2V2, the PA2V2 looks more "professional" I suppose.

When the confiscate something, can you have it posted to your house? Or is that it?

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 8
1) I take my Portaphile V2 through security all the time. Never had any problems. I travel about 50 times a year for business.

2) I agree, a professionally-made device will have a much better chance of going through than a mint.

3) Carrying / packing with headphones connected will help too.

4) The only restriction, if security doesn't allow your amp through, is that the amp doesn't go through. You can leave it behind with someone, throw it out, walk away from security to a post office and mail it to yourself, etc. They don't care what you do with it, as long as it doesn't go through security.

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kully
When the confiscate something, can you have it posted to your house? Or is that it?

This was in the past; I don't know if the security is as tight today. I know that Jahn was upset when his altoids cmoy was confiscated and never returned
frown.gif
but some people have had their confiscated amps sent back to their house, but it would be a great setback/hassle to have to keep up with that stuff when you know your amp isn't a bomb or anything
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 8
The many times I have travelled by air since 9/11, I haven't had any problems. I place my iPod, SR-71 and Shure E5cs in my carry-on bag until I'm through the security checkpoint. I then clip the iPod and amp to my belt (my normal configuration) and connect the phones while I'm waiting in the departure lounge. I have never been called upon to explain what any of the items are used for, and in any case it would be easy enough to demonstrate that they function normally (like everyone used to have to do with their laptops for a while after Lockerbie).

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 8
Take a padded, addressed and stamped envelope with you, and if they won't let you through security, mail it back to yourself. This way you will never have your amp confiscated. Now all you have to worry about is the post!

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
Take a padded, addressed and stamped envelope with you, and if they won't let you through security, mail it back to yourself. This way you will never have your amp confiscated. Now all you have to worry about is the post!

Thats very good advice. However, I've never had a problem with the SR-71 and security at a number of airports. As other posters have stated, a more professional looking product will get less attention than a DIY CMOY....you could make yourself a 6 pack of em...disposable amps anyone?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back