Portable Amplifier Recommendations.
Dec 15, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
Sorry is that a good or bad thing?
confused.gif

Sorry- I think it is a good thing.

Maybe being "down" with something is a California expression.

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
Sorry is that a good or bad thing?
confused.gif

I know I'm getting old but....

I'm sorry, I was just having a little fun with you. To be down with something means that you like it.

For example:

"Hey StevieDvd, wanna go grab a cold one down at the bar?"

"Hells yeah! I'm down with that!"

Edit: pronouced down wit dat

Translation:

"Hello Steven, would you like to go to the pub for an ale?"

"Why yes, indeed I would. That sounds brilliant."

Somewhere along the line, in the '80s, New York City kids started using the word "fresh" to mean "cool". "Cool" was kind of a white kid '60s word and they wanted their own word to express agreement and satisfaction on the street. Actually, before fresh, the word "bad" was used to connote "cool" that got turned into "stupid". If something "bad" is good, then something "stupid" must be really good.

If you're not from New York (and possibly L.A. - South Central ya'll) or you're not into rap, I can understand not understanding any of this.

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
Sorry- I think it is a good thing.

LOL! You're the one who said it.

Quote:

Maybe being "down" with something is a California expression.

No way, New York all the way!

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Translation:

"Hello Steven, would you like to go to the pub for an ale?"

"Why yes, indeed I would. That sounds brilliant."

LOL
Great translation!

Dec 15, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #36 of 40
Hi crack_shot,

Just gotta say that I disagree with this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by chumley
Didn't realize crack_shot's original choice was between the PC II and the TAH! Oh, man... I need to get some sleep and read the posts better. The PC II is FAR better than the TAH (I also own one; a 'new' version, and it's great at introducing schmutz into the signal path, and not much else, IMO)...

You don't have to take my word for it. We offer a great return policy and so do a couple of Jan's dealers. If you can afford it for a few weeks, I think its worth having a listen to yourself.

Being an audio dork is cool.
cool.gif

Cheers,
Jamey

Dec 15, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #37 of 40
Jamey be down wit bein' an audio dork, my bruthah!
tongue.gif

Wait I thought you were an obsessed headphone geek?
confused.gif

HeadRoom does have a very good return policy, so if you don't like anything you can always return it.
cool.gif

Dec 15, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey
Hi crack_shot,

Just gotta say that I disagree with this:

You don't have to take my word for it. We offer a great return policy and so do a couple of Jan's dealers. If you can afford it for a few weeks, I think its worth having a listen to yourself.

Being an audio dork is cool.
cool.gif

Cheers,
Jamey

alright, Jamey... since I agree with everything you said, and I may be at fault for not returning what may well be an anomolous, faulty unit, crack_shot can't go wrong with your offer as well... and, having spent many dollars on products made by and/or sold through your fine company, and having consistently enjoyed perusing your well laid out, enjoyable and edifying headphone.com website, I feel bad having jumped the gun by characterizing the TAH as a '...signal schmutzer'...
frown.gif
please, once again, accept my apologies... BTW, the crew over at HeadRoom is one of the best in the business!
icon10.gif

CADs (Cool Audio Dorks) of the world, unite!
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier
Dear Chumley,

"as TrevorNetwork's opinion pertains to only the Porta Corda vs. the SR-71, let's just say more than a few folks here, myself included, feel otherwise. Not that your amps aren't great, Jan."

Don't worry, knowing the quality of Ray's designs I honestly don't expect the PORTA CORDA to be on the same level as the SR-71. Any amp is a trade-off between portability, price, size, power consumption, etc.

The SR-71 not only is more expensive than the PORTA CORDA but it also is larger, heavier, has a higher supply voltage and a much higher current consumption (This one costs on batteries!). Ray simply made different trade-offs.

The PORTA CORDA was made for portability and low price. A battery life time up to 100 hours, small size and low weight were very important design criteria for me. The SR-71 is very different by its usability and concept.

Just two questions though. Did you hear the PORTA CORDA in class-A mode or in the regular A-B mode? this truly does make a difference!

When did you hear the PREHEAD MkII? Only a few have been sold yet and to my knowledge no owner has sold one yet. Are you sure not having mixed up with another amp?

Cheers,

Jan

Jan,

'A' mode. I agree, it does make a difference.

As for the Prehead MkII, (the one with the high-cut filter, right?), I listened, was intrigued, bought it, listened some more, then returned it to its former owner (a NYC area audio technician who uses his headphones and amps during frequent business travel to Europe), and had him keep the money, over his objections, for his troubles... I think it's more of a personal preference for a specific 'flavor' of sonic signature, at the SR-71 PH or PH MkII comparison level... I guess, ultimately, I'm a BIG fan of dual-mono amp configuration; even with its sophisticated filtering, tonal controls and multiple inputs, all are not needed by me... but the Prehead's (and MkII) sound is phenomenally good; so good that were I not the 'dual mono' junkie I am, I would keep a few Meier amps around always...

Dec 18, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #40 of 40
Is there a FAQ that covers all the portable amps on this site. Or better yet are there reviews posted anywhere for any of these products? Who sells them and are they available for trial?

I'm sorry for the edit,I have one more question. How portable is "portable"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back