portable amplifier question
Feb 10, 2004 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kheldar

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for some ideas/comments.....

If I assume my portable source device is **not** going to have a line out, just a headphone out, Is it still ideal to use a full headphone amplifier (meta42 or whatnot) or would something like a well built diamond buffer or current follower be better?

Im looking for a good match between low impedence phones (16-32 ohm) and an ipod, so knowing this, small size (no volume control needed, just more power)

Feb 10, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 6
there is no limitation for a line output in a portable headphone amp

in fact it is common for a good headphone amp to be a good line stage but not always the reverse

as for the output stage it is up to the end user , that is what DIY is about-you build for you

but if this is going to be a first project and you have limited diy amp skills i would start out with something easy such as the cmoy pocket amp and then go from there

rick

Feb 11, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 6
definatly not a first diy project.

Im just thinking that the ipod has an amplifier already, the reason it doesn't work as well with my phones is the low impedence, so increasing the current should increase the quality, at least to some degree.

I am planning on making it as small as possible, so no volume control.

I have built a pair of discrete diamond buffers, one exploded, and the other has a bit too much DC on the output at the moment (need to match my transistors better..)

this is the schematic im using now to play with (just the right side of it anyways...)

Diamond42_1.gif

are there any realy bad things about this idea?

anyone have a realy simple discrete buffer that works well?

Feb 14, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by kheldar
why not? its a toss up between cheapness and stubornness..

i have a pile of the 2n3906/2n3904 transistors and no ic buffers at the moment.

Gotcha
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back